Note: Sadly, the T-Rex Bar-B-Q in Allen Park closed in early September 2015. However, its coleslaw recipe is far from extinct! Check it out below.
Are your kids crazy for dinosaurs? For little Velociraptor fans – and hey, who isn’t after seeing this summer’s blockbuster Jurassic World? – there’s a cool menu waiting at T-Rex Bar-B-Q in Allen Park.
“I thought it would be something different,” says owner Rob Josupeit of his restaurant’s dino theme. The T-Rex, which he opened last December, is a modern mom-and-pop with a simple-yet-growing assortment of dino decor including ride-on Triceratops toys kids can pose on for a photo op, loads of kids’ Tyrannosaurs coloring-page art dotting the hallways and a big in-progress mural.
But the menu, topped with a green ‘Rex chowing a rack of ribs, is where dinos really rule – and Josupeit’s recipes roar.
You can dine on “Bronto Burgers” like The Spinosaurus, topped with mushrooms and Swiss. Or order a “Seismic Sandwich” like the Carnivore – brisket covered in BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, onion rings and spices.
The favorite around T-Rex, however, is the rib kebabs. Rib meat is threaded onto a skewer and then barbecued. Once they’re cooked through, the kebabs are battered lightly and then fried. “Everyone loves them – kids, adults,” says Josupeit. Be sure to chase it with a popular Faygo float. And, at your next barbecue, round out the menu with this “rextaurant’s” easy coleslaw.
- 1 large head of green cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1/3 cup purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 6 Tbsp. sugar (less if you prefer/to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. celery seed
- In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, grated carrots and purple cabbage together.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine sauce ingredients – the Miracle Whip dressing, sugar and celery seed.
- Add the sauce to the veggies and toss to coat it.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight so ingredients meld.
The vibe is casual and the meals are dino-sized! Come hungry for brisket, pulled pork and roast turkey, plus salads, burgers, chili and lots of homemade sides.
- Address: 9205 Pelham Road, Allen Park
- Hours: 4-9 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
- Phone: 313-299-1610