- Mini protein pancakes with cottage cheese
- Watermelon, raspberries, pineapple
- Plain popcorn and dried seaweed
- Edamame beans, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese balls/cubes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 pat butter
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, milk and oil.
- Add egg mix to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and toss in pat of butter.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan for each pancake.
- Cook until the pancakes are golden brown on the bottom and bubbles break on surface.
- Flip and allow to cook through, about another minute.
- Transfer to a rack and cool.
- Store in an airtight container or bag to use throughout the week.
- Chop up the watermelon and pineapple into bite-sized pieces and toss with raspberries.
- Crumble seaweed on top of popcorn.
- Boil or steam and shell raw edamame or buy pre-shelled beans; mix those with halved cherry tomatoes and cubes or balls of mozzarella cheese (this recipe specifically pictures bocconcini).
- Assign each snack to its own bento compartment or container.
Dig this container? It’s a Bentology leak-proof bento box with five removable compartments. Get it for $12.99 on Amazon.
Excerpted from The School Year Survival Cookbook: Healthy Recipes and Sanity-Saving Strategies for Every Family and Every Meal (Even Snacks).
Photo by Maya Visnyei Photography