Twenty-nine years ago, the Black Flame Candle was lit and accidently brought back three witches from the 17th century – Winifred (Bette Midler), Mary (Kathy Najimy) and Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker). Although they were defeated back then, there was a chance they would come back if the candle was lit again.
And it happens as two Salem teenagers light the black candle they received at the magic shop (formerly the Sanderson cottage), not knowing they would resurrect the Sanderson sisters.
Hocus Pocus 2 begins with a look into the Sanderson sisters’ childhood in 1653. As Winifred was banished from Salem by the reverend, her sisters, Mary and Sarah, faced being taken away from her. The three girls escape to the forbidden forest where they meet Mother Witch and she gives Winifred a spell book for her 16th birthday. This is where they learn about the Magicae Maxima spell, which makes the witch that uses it all powerful. They do not learn the repercussions of that particular spell, though.
Here are some lessons to takeaway from the movie to talk about with your kids.
- Always be yourself no matter what others may say. The main character in the movie, Becca (Whitney Peak), always stayed true to herself. People looked at her strangely when she took out her lucky stone or when they find out she does a ritual in the woods on every birthday.
- When your friends upset you, talk it out with them. Becca, Izzy and Cassie have been best friends for a long time. When Cassie gets a new boyfriend, everything changes with the trio. On Becca and Izzy’s end, they felt left out and think Cassie doesn’t want to hang out with them anymore. Cassie felt like they were excluding her. If they would have just talked about their feelings, they would have squashed it a long time ago.
- Don’t lie and deceive people that trust you. The owner of the magic shop, Gilbert (Sam Richardson), needed Becca and Izzy to light the Black Flame Candle and bring the witches back. He gave it to Becca as a birthday gift and didn’t tell her the significance of what she was doing. The witches turned on him, though, and made him do as they said or he would die. We bet he was regretting tricking the teens after that!
- Family is the most important thing. Winifred thought she wanted ultimate power, but when it came at the expense of losing her two sisters, she realized what she had done. She treated them so horribly over the many, many years – calling them names and acting as if she was the best witch of them all. In the end, she realized her sisters were the most important thing in her life, not power.
Movie inspired activities
- Try your own “calming circle” and choose to say things that calm you down. The Sanderson sisters said things like, “blank” and “blank.” You may say whatever calms you down and have the other people in the circle say what calms them down as well.
- Create your own Booooook! Try spell book brownies with this easy recipe by The Keeper of the Cheerios.
- All Mayor Jefry Traske (Tony Hale) could talk about at the festival was the caramel apples. Make your own caramel apple bar by cutting up apples and placing them on a stick for easy dipping. Use toppings like rainbow sprinkles, mini marshmallows, fruity cereal, crushed pretzels and of course, caramel dip. Try this recipe by Sprouts Farmers Market.
- Dance and sing along to the Hocus Pocus 2 (Original Soundtrack) on Apple Music and Spotify.
- Make a Black Flame Candle like the one in the movies with this DIY guide by Play Party Plan.