Families in southeast Michigan and Ann Arbor shouldn’t take local museums for granted.
Museums are incredible places for families to spend an afternoon — and with the number of changing exhibitions and presentations — investing in a family membership is one way to keep your little ones entertained and learning all year round.
Even museums that offer free admission like the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History and the Detroit Institute of Arts make family memberships worth it with perks like discounts on ticketed special exhibits and access to exclusive group events.
Whatever your family’s favorite museum may be, take a look at some of the advantages of a museum membership and help your favorite local institutions thrive.
- Address: 220 E Ann St., Ann Arbor
- Cost: Family memberships start at $80 and go up to $150 for premium perks
This 12-month membership gives families access to incredible, interactive exhibits. Plus, enjoy discounts for birthday parties and store purchases, and free members’ nights.
- Address: 13624 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Cost: $75/year
A family membership to the Arab American National Museum grants free access to two adults and up to four children who reside at the same address, plus two free guest passes per year. The museum has specific youth and family programs and is the first and only museum in the United States devoted to documenting and sharing Arab American history and life.
- Address: 315 East Warren Ave., Detroit
- Cost: $65/year
Dynamic visiting exhibits and powerful permanent installations are hallmarks of this museum. Families can expect year-round youth programming, too. Membership gives families access to exhibit previews and store discounts.
- Address: 39221 Woodward Ave., Bloomfield Hills
- Cost: Family memberships start at $75 per year and go up to $250 for premium perks
The Cranbrook Institute of Science’s observatory, planetarium, science garden, nature trails and more than 10 permanent gallery installations makes this museum a great choice for families with little ones. Membership gives access to virtual lectures and discounts at the museum store and for planetariumtickets.
- Address: 5401 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Cost: Family memberships start at $95, but memberships are free for Detroiters
Members of the Detroit Historical Museum enjoy special VIP access to top exhibitions, curator-led discussions, exclusive member events and museum shop discounts. Plus, fun, kid-friendly historical exhibitions.
- Address: 5200 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Cost: Family memberships start at $110
While museum entry is free for residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties, membership at the DIA comes with perks. Members enjoy discounted Detroit Film Theater tickets, free admission to ticketed events, access to special auxiliary groups and more.
- Address: 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Cost: Family memberships start at $185 and go up to $260 for premium perks
One of Michigan’s foremost museums celebrating innovation is located in Dearborn. Memberships offer families free admission to Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, Greenfield Village and traditional films at the Giant Screen Experience as well as free parking and admission to seasonal events.
- Address: 5020 John R St., Detroit
- Cost: Family memberships start at $99 and go up to $175 for premium perks
A one-year membership at the Michigan Science Center gives families discounts on camps, paid theater tickets and access to special member events. Plus, free admission to one of the state’s premier science experiences.
- Address: 1221 E Kearsley St., Flint
- Cost: Family memberships start at $85 and go up to $125 for premium perks
The Sloan Museum is currently undergoing a $26.5 million renovation and is slated to open in summer 2022. Families can expect a planetarium, hands-on science exhibits, play areas and much more.
- Address: 1109 N. University Ave., Ann Arbor
- Cost: Family memberships start at $70 per year
General admission at the museum is free, but membership offers four free planetarium passes, invites to members only events and a discount at the cafe and store.
- Address: 47884 D St, Belleville
- Cost: Family memberships are $125 per year
For little ones obsessed with planes, the Yankee Air Museum is sure to entertain. Membership comes with perks like free tickets to special holiday events and real plane ride discounts.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.