Peer at the world through a T.rex’s rib cage this winter at the Cranbrook Institute of Science’s newest exhibit, SUE: The T. rex Experience.
SUE — a cast of one of the largest T.rex skeletons ever found — makes its way to metro Detroit to shock visitors with exciting interactive and digital technologies, plus an up-close look at all 40 feet from snout to tail.
Quick details about SUE: The T.rex Experience
Open through April 30, 2023
- Address: Cranbrook Institute of Science, 39221 Woodward Avenue, Bloomfield Hills
- Cost: $10/adults, $9 CIS standard members, $8 ages 2-12, $8 seniors over 65 and free for CIS enhanced members and kids under 2
Little ones craving some action can catch a battle between the T.rex and its prey, plus a floor-to-ceiling screen of the dinosaur interacting with other prehistoric animals. Smell SUE’s breath at a scent station, listen to a T.rex’s growl and learn about the new discoveries scientists have made since SUE’s discovery in 1990.
Visiting hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday; 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday; and noon-4 p.m. Sunday.
Tips for families when visiting SUE: The T.rex experience
- Cranbrook Institute of Science is partnering with Museums for All to offer free general admission for guests and their families with EBT and Bridge Cards.
- The Institute does not allow peanuts, tree nuts or nut butter.
- Check the CIS calendar for special activities. Sometimes the institute has additional dinosaur-related activities tied to the temporary exhibit.
Things to do near SUE: The T.rex Experience
- The Cranbrook Institute of Science also houses a planetarium. Plan a stop to see shows like One World, One Sky: Big Bird’s Adventure during your visit.
- Stop by Bowers School Farm, operated by Bloomfield Hills Schools, for the open barn from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays beginning April 15.
- Grab some Greek or American food at Little Daddy’s, a family-friendly restaurant.
- If the return drive home happens to be southwest from Birmingham, hop over to Farmington Hills for a marvelous, mechanical adventure at Marvin’s.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.