Back-to-school shopping is always expensive but 2022 is set to be the priciest year yet, with shoppers set to spend roughly $34.4 billion.
For families on a budget, that number translates to an 8% increase for each student’s back-to-school supplies, based on a new study from Deloitte. The study also says more than half of all families are concerned about the rising costs.
But back-to-school shopping doesn’t have to cause anxiety for parents — and shopping smart with sales and coupons can make a big difference. Check out our roundup of the best online and in person deals below to help take some of the stress out of back-to-school shopping.
Doing most of your back-to-school shopping online? Here are some of the best deals on some of the biggest sites.
- Best Buy is offering great deals on back-to-school laptops and other tech. Save up to $350 on select Apple MacBooks and $40 on AirPods Pro.
- Amazon is offering deals on tablets, locks, writing and paper supplies and more. For older kids using laptops, the Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Canceling Over-Ear Headphones are on sale. In need of a tablet? You can snag the 1 inch Fire HD 10 for less than $100.
- Kohl’s is offering up to 50% off on backpacks and school uniforms. Plus, shoppers can find even steeper discounts on kids’ and teens’ clearance clothes items for back-to-school.
- Nordstrom’s huge selection of kids and teens clothing items makes shopping for discounted back-to-school outfits easy. Check out their back-to-school section with more than 350 items on sale.
- Office Depot’s extensive supply of back-to-school items makes shopping there a good idea for kids in need of specific colors in folders and binders — find them for as low as $.45.
- Target is giving teachers 15% off certain classroom supplies with Target Circle. Parents looking for pencils, rulers, folders, glue, erasers and binders can find every item for less than a dollar at Target.
- TJ Maxx has more than 900 back-to-school items like kids clothes and backpacks priced at discounted rates. A visit to this store in person in a good way to find even steeper sales.
- Walmart’s selection of discounted home goods extends to items a college freshmen might need for their big move to a dorm. Find mini fridges, microwaves, storage containers, bedding and more. Check out more than 100 discounted home goods items to get ready for college move-in.
Shopping in-store this year? We’ve scoured the in-store ads for you and scouted out some of the biggest deals. Here is what we’ve found:
- Kroger’s 10 for 10 back-to-school deals include $1 3-pack glue sticks, composition notebooks, Crayola colored pencils and 10-pack markers and highlighters.
- Meijer knows back-to-school doesn’t just mean kids — teachers are also gearing up for another school year. Teachers get 15% off school and home office, shoes and kids’ apparel purchases. Plus, for parents short on shopping time, “bundles” by grade can be added with discounts to the cart with just one click.
- Blick offers 18-47% off the list price for bulk acrylic paint — a must for teachers in the classroom with little ones.
- Seaway Detroit offers discounts on groceries for quick kids breakfast and lunch options including four boxes of General Mills cereal for $10 and two for $5 Eggo waffles.
- Scrap Creative Reuse located in Ann Arbor and Arts and Scraps Detroit offers unique art supplies at a discounted rate year-round.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.