Whether you’re planning a kids’ party, shopping for a holiday or just have a sweet tooth in the family, the metro Detroit area has plenty of local candy shops to satisfy your cravings.
Make a stop at one of these local sugar dispensaries and watch your kids’ eyes light up as they explore a place they may have thought only existed in their dreams. Bon appétit!
- Address: 6698 Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield Township
- Phone: 248-851-4450
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Chocolate, candy, cookie and nut trays are offered for personal or corporate gifts, and you’ll also find pastry trays, Michigan specialty baskets, fresh-dipped strawberries and more.
- Address: 1952 S. Industrial Highway, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-665-8884
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
This locally-owned bulk food store has candies for sale including Jordan almonds and chocolates but also has a wide selection of tea, coffee, herbs, flours, grains, pastas, snacks, nuts, dried fruits and more.
- Address: 50935 Washington St., New Baltimore
- Phone: 586-648-7189
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday
This unique store offers a wide selection of candy along with candles, jewelry, handmade items, gifts and more. Some products are not readily available due to coronavirus supply chain issues.
- Address: 26300 Michigan Ave., Inkster
- Phone: 313-565-2505
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
You’ll find handmade chocolates like nut clusters, turtles, chocolate-covered cherries and more at this local favorite.
- Address: 23151 Michigan Ave., Dearborn. Also locations in Livonia, Westland and Canton
- Phone: 313-561-5011
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
This shop has many bulk candy items to choose from whether you want to buy just a pinch or several pounds for a candy buffet. You’ll also find nuts, grains, spices, chips, drinks and more.
- Address: 135 N. Rochester Road, Clawson
- Phone: 248-597-1051
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
This candy wonderland features thousands of candy items including bulk candies, vintage candy, sweet and sour candy, chocolates and even candy- or chocolate-covered insects. Sugar-free candies available, too. Kids will have fun using the mini shopping carts.
- Address: Great Lakes Crossing Outlets 4250 Baldwin Road, #608, Auburn Hills
- Phone: 248-829-7340
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday
If you’re looking for large boxes or pieces of candy, check out IT’SUGAR at Great Lakes Crossing Outlets. They also carry a handful of novelty gifts.
- Address: 15928 Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-272-2218
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Also known as Mr. Leddy’s Candy Store, Janco has been open since 1938 and offers candy, snacks and beverages. The store offers candy on a wholesale basis and is also open to the public. Masks and social distance required.
- Address: 896 W. Ann Arbor Trail, Plymouth
- Phone: 734-453-0480
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday closed Sunday
For more than 50 years, Kemnitz has offered a wide range of chocolates including award-winning cherry cordials and a large variety of candies. The shop focuses on customer service and makes all products with fresh, hand-selected ingredients.
- Address: 107 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor; 298 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-769-7759 (Ann Arbor), 734-404-6719 (Plymouth)
- Hours: Hours change seasonally; call for current hours
Open since 1983, this chocolate shop offers hand-paddled fudge, many types of handmade chocolates, caramel apples and corns, brittle and homemade ice cream.
- Address: 90 Macomb Place, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-430-1638
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Stop in at Pops’ for a variety of retro candy, ice cream, dippin’ dots, and novelty candy like Wonka bars or Duff energy drinks.
- Address: 44225 W. 12 Mile Road, Suite C104, Novi
- Phone: 248-308-2200
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. daily
With 500 different soda flavors, 80 different taffy flavors and 100 types of candy from all over the world and all eras, there’s sure to be something for everyone.
- Address: 15020 E. Nine Mile Road, Eastpointe
- Phone: 586-772-1076
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Sunday, Closed Monday.
This old-fashioned candy shop carries bulk candy, chocolates, novelty and fun candy, nuts and dried fruit and 52 flavors of Ashby’s Ice Cream.
- Address: 4642 Elizabeth Lake Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-682-5640
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Homemade chocolate and sweets include fudge, caramel apples, saltwater taffy, brittle, nonpareils, clusters and more. The family-owned business has been open since 1948. Due to the small storefront, only one guest at a time.
- Address: Locations throughout southeast Michigan (plus Mackinac Island)
- Phone: 800-651-7263
- Hours: Vary by location
Stop in the Sander’s Chocolate & Ice Cream Shoppe for a cream puff with Sander’s famous fudge topping or try the cherry cordials, caramels, nut clusters or toffee.
- Address: 3233 W. 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-398-7933
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
This chocolate company specializes in making chocolates the old-fashioned way using “family secrets” that were started by Mr. Sydney Bogg in 1936. Items include corns, brittles, nuts, turtles, bark, nonpareils and more.
- Address: 22635 Northline Road, Taylor
- Phone: 734-287-2855
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
From Airheads to Zotz and everything in between, this family-owned store features new candies of all kinds and old childhood favorites.
- Address: 23147 Woodward Ave., Ferndale; 122 W. Michigan Ave., Ypsilanti
- Phone: 248-556-5084 (Ferndale), 734-483-2291 (Ypsilanti)
- Hours: Ferndale: Noon-8 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Ypsilanti: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, Noon-6 p.m. Sunday
- Both locations: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Both locations offer a large selection of wrapped and unwrapped bulk candy, plus novelty, nostalgic and traditional candies. You can also find jumbo peanut butter cups, chocolate covered cherries, chocolate covered pretzels and more chocolates in addition to a selection of gifts, books and other items.
This post was originally published in 2015 is updated regularly.