As Muslims around the world observe Ramadan (March 22-April 21), some families in southeast Michigan may be looking for some fun new ways to celebrate at home or around town.
We’ve rounded up some local events, at-home activities and recipes to help you break fast so that you can put a new spin on your celebrations and teach your children why this holiday is so important to your family.
Looking for a fun Ramadan event to take your kids to this year? Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor are full of options for families. Check out some of our favorites this year.
Michigan Ramadan Market
March 11, 2023
- Address: MCWS, 40440 Palmer Rd, Canton
- Cost: Free
Before the festivities begin, head to this Ramadan Market to stock up on religious decor and art from Muslin-owned small businesses. Little ones can get their faces painted or receive henna on their hands.
Ramadan Crafts & Activities for Kids
Hands-on activities and crafts are a great way to teach kids about the holiday and the history behind it.
- Children’s Books That Celebrate Ramadan: These books are perfect to teach kids more about Ramadan and why it is celebrated.
- Ramadan Fasting Tracker for Kids: Fasting is a key part of Ramadan. Help your kids track their fast with this fun tracker from Inspiring the Love of Islam.
- Easy Ramadan Treat Boxes for Neighbors: Share your love of Ramadan with your neighbors by making these treat boxes from Happily Hafsa.
- 30 Ramadan Quarantine Activity Ideas: Families still quarantining to keep loved ones safe can still celebrate Ramadan with these fun activities from ACraftyArab.com.
Recipes to Break Fast
Ramadan calls for a fast that last from sunrise to sunset, and when it’s time to eat, you definitely need something filling to break it. Here are some delish recipes to try this year.
- Best Fried Appetizers to Break Fast: Take a look at one Muslim mom’s favorite fried appetizers for Ramadan.
- Snacks for Ramadan or Iftar: Find 26 snacks, including baked chicken patties, erachi Pola and more, from Thasneen.com.
- 10 Ramadan Food Ideas for Serhi or Iftar: ZamZam.com offers 10 healthy recipes for families this Ramadan.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.