When you’re a kid, having fun and having dessert are serious business. And this craft is a blend of both! Next time your family enjoys some doughnuts, don’t toss that cardboard box. These sturdy containers can be easily upcycled into an oversized “just like mom and dad” briefcase ideal for imaginative dress-up play.
- Empty cardboard doughnut box
- Duct tape in standard and skinny (like “Ducklings” by Duck Tape) widths; your choice of colors
- Non-stick scissors
- Make sure that there isn’t any frosting left in the box. If so, let it dry out and then brush it away with a wooden craft stick.
- Cut off any tabs on the sides and bottom of the box. This ensures the box can stand up on its own.
- It’s decorating time. Apply standard duct tape to cover up the store designs on the front and sides of the box. Use skinnier tape to create stripes, initials or other designs. If you’d like, deck out the inside of the box, too.
- To create a handle, cut off a piece of standard tape that’s 8 inches wide and fold in half. Cut several smaller pieces of duct tape; tape down each end of the handle to the top of box.
- Your child is ready to head to the office. Let’s hope someone brings in doughnuts today!
Photo by Marina Csomor