It’s the most wonderful time of the year! No matter what you believe or which holidays you celebrate, this time of year is magical — even more so with all of the holiday fun that the metro Detroit and Ann Arbor area has to offer.
From holiday light displays and Nutcracker shows to Christmas tree farms and Santa appearances, Macomb, Oakland, Wayne and Washtenaw counties are filled with family fun this time of year and we here at Metro Parent have you covered with the most up-to-date details on all the family fun happenings.
We’ve broken down all of the holly jolly family fun ideas and put them into one handy guide to help you navigate the season, and plan your merriest and brightest holiday yet.
Click through to find local events, family crafts and activities, along with shopping tips, charities that need your help and more ideas your whole family will love.
There’s nothing quite like the twinkle of lights against a snowy backdrop to fill you with holiday cheer and you’ll find spectacular light displays all across Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor. Here are some of our favorite displays, plus, a few ways to enjoy them even more.
- Holiday Displays and Tree Lightings in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Best Neighborhoods to See Holiday Lights
- Holiday Display Scavenger Hunt
Holiday Attractions and Events
Along with beautiful lights, the holidays also bring fantastical events and unique experiences that kids will love including virtual holiday shows, unique cooking and crafting ideas, ice skating rinks and more. Need some inspiration on how to spend the season with your kids? Try some of these ideas.
- DIY Holiday ornaments, wreaths and more
- Season’s Eatings: Christmas Cookie Spirit Scale Recipes
- Nutcracker and Holiday Shows in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Ice Skating Rinks in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Vegan and Vegetarian Holiday Recipes
- Cookie Exchange Recipe Ideas
- Diverse Holiday Treats
- Simple Holiday Family Crafts to Make With On-Hand Materials
Gifts and Giving
Gift giving is a key piece of the holiday season but finding the perfect presents for your loved ones at the right price can be a bit of a challenge. Simplify your shopping with our top gift ideas for kids and pets, information on this year’s sales, local stores to shop at, charities that need your support and more.
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: 50 Toys Under $50
- Best Black Friday Deals
- How to Participate in Small Business Saturday
- Mall Shopping Hours in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Holiday Markets & Fairs in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Independent Toys Stores in Southeast Michigan
- Online Black-Owned Toy Stores
- Best Charities for Holiday Giving
- Gifts the Give Back
- Holiday Gift Ideas for Cats and Dogs
Santa Claus is coming to town, and families have some prep work to do before his big arrival including getting a tree, making their wish lists and more. Need some inspiration and fun ideas to make the most of Christmas this year? These ideas will kick your festivities into overdrive.
- Christmas Tree Farms in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Where to Visit Santa This Year
- Beyond Elf: The Best Family Christmas Movies
- Christmas Tree Crafts for Kids
- Last-Minute Christmas DIY Ornaments Crafts
- Upcycled Christmas Crafts
- Santa Crafts for Kids
- Christmas Crafting Supplies Every Family Needs
- Reindeer Crafts for Kids
Every December, families of the Jewish faith celebrate the Festival of Lights with eight days of food, gifts, games, special prayers and time together with loved ones. If you’re looking for new ways to enjoy Hanukkah, try some of these fun ideas.
- Hanukkah Happenings in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- Hanukkah Holiday Craft Ideas for Kids and Families to Make
- Festive Hanukkah Recipes
- Hanukkah Crafts for Kids
- Hanukkah Books Your Kids will Love
- The Ultimate At-Home Hanukkah
Kwanzaa, the African American cultural celebration of life, was founded in 1966 by Maulana Karenga as a way to build both pride and unity within the Black community.
Today, many local families celebrate Kwanzaa and its seven principles (Umoja, Kujichagulia, Ujima, Ujamma, Nia, Kuumba and Imani) with singing, dancing, the Kinara lighting and more. Here are some fun ideas to make the most of your family’s festivities.
New Year’s Eve
Ahh, New Year’s Eve. A time for reflection, new goals and, you guessed it, celebration. Say goodbye to this year, welcome the New Year and kick your NYE party into high gear with these local events, craft ideas, recipes and more.
- New Year’s Eve Family Events in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor
- New Year’s Eve Bell Noisemakers Project for Kids
- New Year’s Eve Crafts for Kids
This post was originally published in 2020 and is updated regularly.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.