Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights that commemorates the rededication of the Holy Temple, kicks off at sundown on Dec. 18.
If you’re looking for ways to kick your traditional festivities into high gear, our Hanukkah family guide includes fun crafts, recipes and even a few events and activity ideas.
Local Hanukkah events
Check out some Hanukkah happenings in 2022 if you feel like venturing out.
Dec. 11, 2022
Enjoy games, music, delicious donuts, story time with Morah Chana and so much more.
Menorah in the D
Dec. 18, 2022
- Address: Campus Martius Park, 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Cost: Free
This annual event offers a live, in-person event that features a fire show, greetings with community leaders and a lighting of the giant menorah.
Dec. 18, 19 and 25, 2022
- Address: 7290 Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield Township
- Cost: $8 | Get tickets
Find a dreidel bounce house, dance machines, latkes, and a tot town filled with all kinds of kid-friendly fun at this annual.
A traditional Hanukkah celebration wouldn’t be complete without brisket, latkes, kugel and more. While many families might have recipes handed down generation to generation, this year offers a great chance for families to mix up their Hanukkah menus a bit. Here are a few ideas for inspiration.
- Festive Hanukkah Food: This roundup includes six recipes for fluffy Matzah balls, twice-baked beef brisket Sufganiyot and more!
- Diverse Holiday Treat Ideas for Families to Make Together: Find recipes from fruit Menorahs to carrot parsnip Latkes and everything in between — plus Christmas, Divali and Kwanzaa recipes, too.
Menorah lightings with your families and special prayers are a must for this holiday, but there’s lots of fun activities you can do beyond that, too.
- Hanukkah Crafts for Kids: Gather a few simple supplies and you’re on your way to make a yarn-wrapped hurricane Chanukah centerpiece, an Altoids tin Menorah and more.
- Hanukkah Holiday Craft Ideas for Kids and Families to Make: Happy Hanukkah wall art, sun catchers and a clothespin Menorah are some of the fun ideas on this craft list.
- Eight Exciting Hanukkah Gifts for Kids: Along with the eight days of celebrating comes eight days of gifts and if you’re stumped on what to get your kiddos this season, we suggest these eight festive gift ideas.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.