The holiday season is here. Add a new tradition or carry on an old one with your family in November and December by heading out to one of these fun holiday displays and tree lightings in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor that are sure to illuminate the spirit.
Metro Parent has gathered a list of some of the most merry and bright tree and menorah lightings, along with lots of other joyful jollies here in southeast Michigan — from Detroit to Ann Arbor and beyond.
Check out this list and plan your family’s holiday season kick-off.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some events may end up cancelled or may be following strict safety protocols. Check ahead.
Nov. 19-Jan. 1, 2022
- Address: Downtown Clarkston area
- Time: 5:30-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 5:30-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Drive down this 1 1/2-mile-long path to see holiday themed lights and characters.
Nov. 18-Jan. 10, 2022
- Address: 12111 Pardee Road, Taylor
- Hours: 6-7 p.m.
Visit Heritage Park to see more than 100 lit Christmas trees, larger-than-life characters, full building projections and more. Each weekend offers a new theme, including The Nutcracker, Grinchmas and Santa’s Workshop.
Nov. 18-Dec. 31, 2021 (closed Dec. 25)
- Address: 7651 Merriman Road, Westland
- Times: Varies by day
Four miles of twinkling lights are ready for you to drive through until New Year’s Eve. Pictures with Santa and concessions on select days provide even more Christmas magic.
Nov. 19, 2021
- Address: Downtown Detroit area
- Time: 5-11 p.m.
Head downtown for Detroit’s 18th annual signature tree lighting event. This event kicks off the opening of the skating rink for the 2021-22 season.
Nov. 19-mid-January, 2022
- Address: Beacon Park, Detroit
- Time: 5 p.m.-midnight
This 5th annual welcomes the holidays in with a light display that features more than 125,000 LED lights, food trucks, holiday music and more.
Nov. 20, 2021
- Address: At Sycamore and Biddle Avenue, Downtown Wyandotte
- Time: Dusk
Music and merriment await you and your family as this city lights up its Christmas tree.
Select Dates Nov. 20, 2021-Jan. 9, 2022
- Address: 8540 W. 10 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Time: 5-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 5-10:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Five million lights shine bright at the Detroit Zoo for 29 days this holiday season. LED lights illuminate trees and building, plus there’s 200 illuminated animal sculptures scattered throughout the zoo.
Nov. 22, 2021
- Address: Civic Center Plaza, City Hall, 300 W. 13 Mile Road, Madison Heights
- Time: 6:30 p.m.
See Mr. and Mrs. Claus arrive in town and watch as they power up the lovely lights.
Nov. 22, 2021-Jan. 3, 2022
- Address: Downtown Rochester, Main Street from South Bridge to Romeo Road and Fourth Street from Walnut to Water streets
- Time: 5 p.m. daily
Downtown Rochester is decked in 1 million-plus lights, brightening up buildings every evening.
Nov. 26-Dec. 23, 2021
- Address: Meadow Brook Hall, 480 S. Adams Road, Rochester
- Time: By appointment
Take a walk around the historic house and grounds to see more than 50 decorated trees including a 10-foot tree made entirely out of poinsettias.
Nov. 26-Jan. 1, 2022
- Address: 439 Shady Oaks St., Lake Orion
- Time: 5:30-10 p.m.
This light display contains about 15,000 LED lights synchronized to holiday music.
Nov. 26-Dec. 30, 2021
- Address: Meadowbrook Hall, 350 Estate Dr., Rochester
- Time: 5:30-10 p.m.
Visitors can explore the National Historic Landmark at its most festive time. There will be seasonal beverages, bonfires, selfie stations and more.
Nov. 28, 2021
- Address: Campus Martius, 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Time: 5:30 p.m.
Come watch the lighting of the giant Menorah and celebrate the season with live music, kids activities, food and more.
Select Date Dec. 3-28, 2021
- Address: Greenfield Village, 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Times: 6:30-10 p.m.
Walk the candle-lit village streets to see live entertainment, shops decked out for the holidays and Santa with his sleigh and reindeer. Plus take a horse-drawn carriage ride, go ice skating and watch the marvelous fireworks display.
Dec. 3, 2021
- Address: Macomb Township Recreation Center, 20699 Macomb St., Macomb Township
- Time: 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Head to Macomb Township for this annual holiday happening, complete with crafts, Santa, holiday dance performances and refreshments at multiple stations.
Dec. 3, 2021
- Address: Wixom Community Center, 49015 Pontiac Trail, Wixom
- Time: 4-8 p.m.
The city lights up for the holiday season with the lighting of a giant Christmas tree; plus carols, pictures with Santa, crafts for kids, music and more.
Dec. 4-5, 10-12, 17-23, 2021
- Address: Downtown Davison area
- Times: TBD
The Robert Williams Nature and Historical Learning Center are decked out with thousands of holiday lights. Experience horse-drawn carriage rides, hot cocoa, holiday music and a take-home craft.
Dec. 4, 2021
- Address: Downtown Lake Orion
- Time: 5-8 p.m.
Enjoy a holiday-themed parade through the downtown area.
Dec. 10, 2021
- Address: Lake Erie Metropark, Marshlands Museum, 32481 W Jefferson Ave., Brownstown Charter Township
- Time: 6-8 p.m.
Meet a variety of Christmas-themed character around the luminated nature trail.
This post is updated regularly.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.