If you look closely at a shamrock, what shape jumps out? A heart, right? When it comes to St. Patrick’s Day crafts, that simple shape is all it takes. Test this technique by stamping hearts in sets of three (maybe four, if you’re feeling lucky). For your first project, stamp a plain T-shirt to have ready in time for March 17.
- Plain white T-shirt
- Pigment ink pads in shades of green
- Heart stamps in various sizes (or just one)
- Pressing cloth
- Scrap paper
- Wash and dry the T-shirt according to the manufacturer’s directions. Give it a quick trip to the ironing board to create a smooth stamping surface.
- Do a stamping test run. Start with the center “leaf” and then stamp an additional leaf on either side. Have kids play around with spacing. What strikes their fancy?
- Time for the real deal! Place some scrap paper inside the shirt to prevent ink bleeding. One stamp at a time, add shamrocks to the shirt. Work from biggest stamp to the littlest (or do all the same size). Hang the shirt up to dry.
- “Set” the ink by placing a pressing cloth on shirt and lightly ironing. Double check the ink pad manufacturer’s website for other tips on heat setting designs.