When it comes to handing out Halloween candy or treats for a school party, what do you like to present children with? Making an extra special DIY treat for a good friend or longtime neighbor is always a welcomed surprise during the Halloween season. If you’ve got a few ghosts and goblins who deserve an extra helping of Halloween fun, have your family create emoji-inspired pumpkin face treat bags this month. Your child can pick a favorite expression or look for a one-of-a-kind gift.
- Craft felt – orange, black, brown and other favorite Halloween colors
- Sewing machine or sewing needle and thread
- Tacky fabric glue
- Scrap paper
- Hole punch
- Ribbon or twine
- Marker and/or pencil
- To get started, create your own circle template for the pumpkin face. Using a compass, create a 5.5″ circle on a piece of scrap paper. Cut out the circle.
- Using your template, trace the circle onto two pieces of orange felt (or a different color for the back of the pouch, if you like) using a marker. Cut out each circle, setting one to the side.
- It’s time to give this pumpkin some emoji attitude! From the black pieces of craft felt, cut out a one-of-a-kind pair of sunglasses for the pumpkin to wear. You can make a tracing template for them or freehand cut the shape. While working with the black felt, cut out a triangle for the nose and a skinny rectangle for the pumpkin smirk.
- Next, place the two felt circles on top of one another. Starting on one side of the circle, sew 1/4″ away from the edge of the felt pieces on your sewing machine. Start about 1/4″ down from the top of the circle so that you can easily slip treats in and out. You can use a needle and thread for the step, or apply a thin layer of tacky fabric glue for a no-sew approach.
- To create the pumpkin face, gather your black shapes and apply a thin layer of tacky fabric glue to the back of each piece. Place onto the front of the pouch and let dry.
- For a handle on your pumpkin pouch, turn it over and punch a hole in either side. Thread your twine through the hole and tie a knot to secure. Add your special Halloween treat or message and you’re ready to go.