In the December 2014 edition of Metro Parent, we showed you how to make a glitter-covered holiday card holder that can help show off this year's collection of greetings from friends and family. Our family and friends send us greetings that reflect holidays that they celebrate, big milestones that happened during the year or a simple family photo to enjoy. We always display this fun menagerie in our house – and look forward to receiving the very first card in December.
With all of the greetings that arrive, a handmade card always stands out – and gets the best placement in our display. Let your children wow your family and friends with a Michigan-themed holiday card that takes just minutes to make. Thanks to our Michigan printable, your children can decorate the Michigan mittens however they like. Paired together, two Michigans become a cheerful holiday card sure to delight the recipients no matter where they live – and guarantee a spot in their own holiday card display.
Michigan mitten printable template (click image at right to download)
Plain flat card
Twine or string
Decorating supplies of your choice
1. Start out by printing two of the Michigan mitten templates on plain white printer paper.
2. Have your child decorate each mitten however they like. Think about using crayons, markers, glitter glue, etc. If you'll be mailing the card, stay away from decorations that are bigger, heavier or stand up on the card, as it may require additional postage for mailing.
3. Once the mittens have been decorated, cut each one out.
4. Add the mittens to the front of the flat greeting card with a glue stick, but leave the bottom of each decorated piece unglued so that the twine can be added to hook the mittens together.
5. Before adding twine to the front of the card, have your child add his or her holiday greeting to the back of the card.
6. Cut a small piece of twine and curl it in the center. Slide each end of the twine under the unglued mitten flaps. Add a swipe of glue stick and press into place until the glue is dry. When it's dry, it's ready to pop in an envelope and a trip to the post office!
Metro Parent, as a Zoe Communications Group company, is certified as a Women’s Business Enterprise by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC), the nation’s largest third-party certifier of businesses owned and operated by women. Ask how we can add diversity to your supply chain.