Pin the Tail on the Donkey, even after all these years, holds a special place in many party planners' hearts – no matter the event theme. The animal and the object being blindly attached can be changed, but the idea is definitely the same! For an upcoming Valentine's Day party, substitute an oversized heart for the donkey – and cupid's arrows for the tails. Point Cupid's Arrow at the Heart is a game you can make at home and have fun decorating on your own or with your family.
1. Start out by stamping (or sticking, if you chose stickers) your arrow stamp on a piece of cardstock. Let dry.
2. Cut out each arrow so that there's room underneath the design. About 1/2 to 1 inch will work well. Laminate the sheets using an at-home method. If you don't have laminating sheets or a laminator, the office supply store can help you out. Cut out each rectangle after laminating.
3. Next, draw a heart, no bigger than a 12-by-12-inch square, on a piece of large kraft paper.
4. With your washi tape (I loved using this arrow washi tape by Sideshow Press), divide your heart into 10 sections. Once divided, write a number from 1 to 10 in each space.
5. Cut your large heart out and mount to a piece of poster board with Glue Dots. This will add stability to the design of the game board. Punch a hole toward the top of the heart and add a piece of baker's twine for hanging.
6. With a dry erase marker, write the name of each child on the bottom of your arrow token. Add a piece of washi tape to the back when it's time to play. Just like Pin the Tail on the Donkey, have the child wear a blindfold when going to pin their token to the game board. The washi tape will stick to the kraft paper, but make removing the token easier once the game is over.
The child with the most points at the end of the game wins. If you find you have an extra spot when creating your point values, add an asterisk to the space. This could be for a bonus point value of your choosing or even an additional prize.
Metro Parent, as a Zoe Communications Group company, is certified as a Women’s Business Enterprise by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC), the nation’s largest third-party certifier of businesses owned and operated by women. Ask how we can add diversity to your supply chain.