Looking to celebrate your kid’s birthday away from the chaos that comes with a grandiose affair? Take them out for a special meal with their closest family and friends. Here, you’ll find some of the best eateries in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties that are kid-friendly and make great places to have kids birthday parties. From small get-togethers, to festive shindigs with hundreds of people, one of these restaurants is sure to have everything you need to make your child’s birthday dinner a memorable – perhaps even birthday-brag worthy.
Remember, some of these spaces require reservations up to a month in advance, while others may only require a day. Many have private or semi-private spaces for rent, but others do not. Some require rental charges, others a deposit to hold your place and some charge per person. Be sure to call and consult with a manager about these requirements.
While you’ve got the manager on the phone, be sure to ask about smaller details like minimum and maximum guest numbers, and special event menu options. Some spots allow outside cakes, but others will not because of health department codes. Some will allow you to bring your own decor and some will decorate for you. It all depends on the space. Hints: Brunches and lunches tend to be cheaper than dinners, and if your party is quite small, it may not be worth booking a private space. Be sure to check if gratuity is included in your final bill.
Alibi of Troy
- Address: 6700 Rochester Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-879-0014
- Cost: $100/deposit, $14.25-plus/person
Main courses include wholesome dishes like chicken parmesan, rib eye steak, shrimp scampi, or a pizza and pasta package that includes hot bread sticks, all served family-style. A $100 deposit is required to guarantee your date and your three-hour time slot. Any changes to your party must be made two weeks prior to your date. You’re welcome to bring a cake, as long as it’s commercially prepared, but a $15 cake setup and cleanup charge will be applied.
- Address: 11557 E. 12 Mile Road, Warren
- Phone: 586-578-0156
- Costs: $9.90/adult, $7.25/kid
This spot offers a pizza buffet extravaganza that includes breads and dessert, alongside video games and a play area. The staff will set up balloons at the tables and scrawl your child’s name on a chalkboard, before their arrival. Bring your own finishing touches like centerpieces, cake and ice cream. Call 24 hours in advance to request your tables. High chairs and booster seats are available upon request.
Antonio’s Cucina Italiana
- Canton: 2220 N. Canton Center Road, 734-981-9800
- Dearborn (Roman Village): 9924 Dix Ave., 313-842-2100
- Dearborn Heights: 26356 Ford Road, 313-278-6000
- Farmington Hills: 37646 W. 12 Mile Road, 248-994-4000
Each location provides beautifully decorated private rooms for scheduled events. A non-refundable deposit is required to secure your date. Room capacities vary by location, but the largest room, which is at the Canton location, can hold up to 140 people. Traditional Italian dishes like Gnocchi Rita, Spaghetti Carbonara and Chicken Antonio, make up the family-style menu that is sure to please any palate. Staffers can set up a gift table, and provide a cake, or you may bring your own cake, for an additional $20. Final guest count is required three days prior to scheduled event.
Antoniou’s Towne Square Pizza
- Address: 918 S. Rochester Road, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-650-2200
- Costs: Pizza party: $12/person, $13/person plus salad; add $75/hour after the first two hours
Looking to party on a budget? This spot offers a personal all-you-can-eat buffet that includes three different pizzas with up to three toppings, breadsticks and fountain drinks. You can add a salad, pasta, chicken or meatballs for an additional charge. There is a minimum of 30 attendees during the week and 40 on the weekend.
Aubree’s Pizzeria & Grill
- Dexter: 8031 Main St., Suite 101, 734-424-1400
- Howell: 4433 E. Grand River Ave., 517-552-9999
- Ypsilanti: 39 E. Cross St., 734-483-1870; 2122 Whitaker Road, 734-483-1525
- South Lyon: 21775 Pontiac Trail, 248-437-8000
Select a private or semi-private room for your next wedding or baby shower, birthday or staff party, sports banquets or business luncheon, with no rental fee for the space. Room sizes and minimum number of guests required for rental vary by location. Menu items include pizza, salad, specialty bread and special options for kids. Ask for gluten-free options, too.
BRAVO! Cucina Italiana
- Ann Arbor: Briarwood Mall, 760 Briarwood Circle, 734-747-6200
- Livonia: 17700 Haggerty Road, 734-591-5600
- Rochester Hills: 286 N. Adams Road, 248-375-9644
- Cost: starts at $8.95/person for the continental breakfast option and goes up from there
Hold your event at this Italian eatery, which offers event packages that can include appetizers, a family-style buffet, bar service, brunch, lunch, breakfast, dessert or a chef selected menu, for groups over 15. No fees apply to rent the space, but you do have to give them a final guest count three days before your event.
Brio Tuscan Grille
- Clinton Township: The Mall at Partridge Creek, 17430 Hall Road, 586-263-7310
- Troy: The Somerset Collection, 2801 W. Big Beaver Road, 248-643-6045
- Costs: Prices vary based on the dining package, consult online event menus to find the right package for you.
The Troy location can host a party up to 25 guests, while the location in Clinton Township can host up to 60. They offer a variety of event packages that can include appetizers, a bar service, dessert, plated meals or Tuscan-style salads and pasta. You must provide the final guest count three business days prior to the event, additional fees for A/V equipment, valet, coat check, floral arrangements or hosted bar apply.
Buca di Beppo
- Livonia: 38888 Six Mile Road, 734-462-6442
- Utica: 12575 Hall Road, 586-803-9463
Choose from a semi-private dining room for an intimate gathering or banquet hall for larger parties, both of which are festively decorated with a bit of Italian flair. You can also design a menu specifically to your youngster’s taste, or utilize their free event consultation option for a group menu.
Cheli’s Chili Bar
- Address: 47 E. Adams Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-961-1700
Former Defenseman for the Detroit Red Wings, Chris Chelios, owns this spot, which is located in the heart of Detroit near Comerica Park. They rent out to parties of 50-500 and feature a menu primarily made up of American favorites.
Crispelli’s Bakery & Pizzeria
- Berkley: 28939 Woodward Ave., 248-591-3300
- Troy: 645 E. Big Beaver Road, 248-680-0066
- West Bloomfield: 6690 Orchard Lake Road, 248-254-4760
The Club Room can accommodate groups up to 50 people, with a menu that features pizza, a variety of entrée combinations, including pasta, fish and chicken, appetizers and desserts. Not a fan of these options? The chefs will work with you to create a custom menu for your event.
- Address: 22335 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-772-9720
- Costs: $100/non-refundable deposit ($200/December deposits). Refund deducted upon completion of event. No refund for cancellation. Full payment due day of the party.
This spot offers a banquet room that can hold up to 55 people, with a minimum of 20 during the week and 25 on the weekends. The number of guests must be confirmed a week before the function. They offer several menu options for parties including the “Now ‘That’s Italian,'” which includes antipasto salad, Italian wedding soup, breadsticks, chicken or veal Parmesan with mostaccioli and dessert, the “Mexican Fiesta,” which includes chips and salsa, fajitas, Spanish rice, a nacho and taco bar and dessert, a family-style menu, plated meals, an hors d’oeuvres tray, and more – priced per person. You can get an open bar, punch bowl or pop added to your menu, at an additional charge, too. Store- or bakery-bought cakes only.
Hard Rock Cafe
- Address: 45 Monroe St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-964-7625
Choose from six venue capacities – including the outdoor patio – which can hold between 50 and 265 seated guests, that are all decked out in rock ‘n’ roll memorabilia. They also offer a diverse menu that can be mixed, matched and added to a customizable group menu, and a kids’ menu for ages 10 and under.
- Address: 2301 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-471-3454
- Costs: $500-$2,000/depending on the space and subsequent citywide events; menu prices depend on orders and number of guests
Red Wing fans will go head over heels for this Detroit spot, which is embellished with all kinds of sports memorabilia and Motor City decor. They offer four rooms to host in, including an outdoor patio that can hold up to 700 strolling and 500 seated guests. A minimum of 30 is required. Hosts can chose from a private events menu, typically served buffet style, and can even get a DJ, for a charge.
- Address: 38550 Van Dyke Ave., Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-979-4460
- Cost: $100/deposit for the Western, Southwestern and Midwestern Rooms, $200/deposit for the North and South Rooms, $400/Ball Room deposit; food priced per person
Smaller celebrations can be hosted in the Western Room, which can host 20-40 guests, the Southwestern Room, which can hold 20-50 guests, or the Midwestern Room, which can accommodate 50-70 people. Larger groups with 40-80 guests can take the Southern and Northern Rooms, and those with an upwards of 160 guests can choose the Ball Room. Once you select your space, take a look at their extensive variety of American, Middle Eastern and Italian food, along with appetizers, salads and desserts, to customize the perfect menu for your celebration. Non-refundable deposits are required to secure your date and time. This fee will be applied toward your final bill.
Mad Hatter Bistro
- Address: 185 N. Old Woodward Ave., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-540-0000
- Costs: Packages vary; contact for details
Young thespians and fairytale fanatics in need of a party spot need not look any further because this spot will take you “down the rabbit hole” into the world of Alice in Wonderland. Private rooms can accommodate up to 30 guests. A final headcount must be confirmed five days prior to the event. Choose from afternoon tea, brunch and dinner options, or a customized menu. Cakes and floral arrangements can be delivered to the bistro. Cake cutting and plating costs $1.50 per person.
- Address: 31555 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-549-4002
Choose from two private rooms: the Napoli room, which holds up to 35 people, or the Mediterranean room that holds up to 125 people. Or select the semi-private Roma room, which seats up to 75 guests. Dine in the dining room, when it’s available. They offer Italian cuisine including pasta and pizza buffets; plus family-style dinners and dessert options. Pick your dishes, and one of their four dining styles and bon appétit!
- Bloomfield Hills: 4036 Telegraph Road, 248-540-7722
- Detroit/Greektown: 553 Monroe St., Detroit, 313-961-8020
- Detroit/Rivertown: 3171 E. Jefferson Ave., 313-259-7272
- Southfield: 23703 Greenfield Road, 248-552-7272
- Taylor: 14680 Pardee Road, 734-785-8806
- Troy: 300 John R Road, 248-589-9888
Renowned for its deep-dish, Chicago-style pizza, this metro Detroit chain packs ample flavor into its savory pies. Everyday menu list prices and sizes apply. Additional party platters include mostaccioli, meat lasagna, fresh veggies and salads. Some locations require a deposit.
Polish Village Cafe
- Address: 2990 Yemans St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-874-5726
- Costs: Packages vary; contact for details
Experience the taste of Poland in “The Room Upstairs” at this Hamtramck spot. Choose from a buffet or family style setup, or pick items off of the downstairs menu. Ask about decking your space with balloons, streamers, flowers, lanterns and more.
Prickly Pear Café
- Address: 328 S. Main St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-930-0047
If your child’s birthday falls between April 15 and Oct. 15, this spot might be the perfect location to celebrate. Their back patio can hold up to 70 people, and is fully carpeted and covered, so the party can still go on, even if the weather doesn’t cooperate. Add a little spice to your shindig with a Tex-Mex menu of enchiladas, fajitas, crab and sweet potato cakes, chips and salsa, guacamole and more. A 50-percent deposit is due at the time of your booking to reserve your date and time.
- Address: Great Lakes Crossing Outlets, 4000 Baldwin Road, District 7, Auburn Hills
- Phone: 248-333-0280
This tropical rainforest-themed eatery will give your child the “royal treatment,” if you choose their Wild Brunch Birthday option. Start out by choosing your food from the special birthday menu and get special invitations to send out. At the party, enjoy activity books for kids, a wild safari hat and a collectible kids’ plate. They also offer options for other special event and educational programs for classroom groups.
- Address: Inside the Livonia Marriot Hotel, 17100 N. Laurel Park Drive
- Phone: 734-953-7480
This full-service restaurant is known for its ethnic and vegan eats, but it’s also an expert in private dining. It can accommodate 35 guests for a luncheon or dinner party, but the Marriott can host larger parties, if needed. A $50 deposit is required to secure your date, and you must provide a final headcount and final menu a week before your event. Call to inquire about customizing your menu.
Traffic Jam and Snug
- Address: 511 W. Canfield St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-831-9470
- Costs: platters feed 20-55 and cost $75-$225
Established in 1965, this historic restaurant has an in-house bakery, microbrewery, dairy and both intimate and spacious dining rooms. Accommodations can be made on short notice for parties of less than 30. Rooms can seat up to 270. Choose among salads, sharable cold and hot platters – featuring miniature ham salad sandwiches, three cheese tortellini, zip sauce-roasted beef tenderloin, mini Indian raja pies and more.
- Address: 2501 Jackson Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-663-3663
- Costs: room minimums dependent on the day and time of your event
At this Tree Town favorite eatery, groups up to 70 can indulge in hearty barbecue, fresh fish, vegetables and other regional food in this all-American restaurant’s Common Room, or, up to 90 people can get the same eats on the patio. They also have a screened-in portion of the patio that can hold 70 guests. No matter what the size of your gathering, the chefs can prepare a menu that fits your partygoers’ dietary needs, or one that fits to the particular theme to your party. You can even request a customized cake. Inquire in advance for personal pit masters, a roadshow, music performances, caricature artwork, special linens and centerpieces.
This post was originally published in 2015 and is updated regularly.