If your family looks forward to attending religious services during the Easter, Passover and Orthodox Easter season, this year is definitely a departure due to the coronavirus, which is keeping us all at home.
We might not be able to gather in groups with our family and faith communities, whether that’s at the Seder table or Sunday services. Yet all around southeast Michigan, churches and synagogues are rising to the occasion — online.
Faith leaders are broadcasting their services and reflections on a variety of platforms, from Facebook to YouTube. Check ahead to see what might be offered to your congregation or community. Or, if you’re searching for something new to share with your kids, tune into a few options on this list.
Our roundup of virtual Easter services in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor offers a variety of options from different faiths. We’ve tried to include a mix of religious groups and regions, but if we missed one of your favorites, please add the details in the comments.
Get in the spirit of the spring season, and “attend” one of these virtual Easter services in 2020. Note: Check ahead to see if registration is needed.
Passover, begins April 8, 2020
Join in a Seder dinner or service via Zoom or YouTube. To prepare for your at-home Seder, check out these tips from the Hillel at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
- Birmingham Temple Congregation for Humanistic Judaism: An online Seder is set for the second night of Passover on April 9 from this Farmington Hills temple. The livestream starts at 6:30 p.m.; it’s available on demand after that.
- B’nai Israel Synagogue: Reach out in advance for Zoom information to access this series of virtual events out of West Bloomfield, including first Seder at 5:30 p.m. April 8, second Seder at 8:30 p.m. April 9 and second day Passover services at 10 a.m. April 10.
- Congregation Beth Ahm: Join Rabbi Rubenstein for an online Seder set for 6-7 p.m. on April 8, live from West Bloomfield.
- Congregation Beth Shalom: Arrive to the Zoom link a bit before the 6 p.m. Seder service start time on April 8 from this Oak Park synagogue.
Easter, April 12, 2020
Many local parishes and congregations offer church-specific virtual Easter services, so be sure to check with yours. Here are some options for various denominations:
- Ann Arbor Baptist Church: “Risen King” is the theme for an 11 a.m. livestream on April 12.
- First Baptist Church of Wixom: The Easter Sunday service is at 10:45 a.m. Its theme is “Easter changes everything, and this year, everything has changed.”
- Kensington Church: Its Good Friday services stream at 3, 5 and 7 p.m. April 10 and Easter services are 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The church has locations Birmingham, Clarkston, Clinton Township, Orion and Troy.
- Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church: This Detroit church has worship via Zoom at 11 a.m. Sunday, plus offerings for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
- Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament: Join the main celebration, led by Archbishop Allen Vigneron, broadcast live at 11 a.m. from this Detroit church.
- Churches throughout the Archdiocese of Detroit: Discover parish virtual Easter masses by clicking on the link and scrolling down to “Holy Thursday,” “Good Friday,” “Easter Vigil” and “Easter Sunday.”
- St. Patrick’s Cathedral: Local TV station WXYZ is broadcasting a live Easter mass from the iconic New York church.
- Christ Lutheran Church: Livestream this Waterford church’s Maundy Thursday service at 7 p.m., Good Friday service at 7 p.m. and Easter service at 10 a.m.
- Emmanuel Lutheran Church: This Ypsilanti church has 7 p.m. Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Vigil services; Easter service is at 10 a.m.
- Historic Trinity: This notable Detroit church, just down the road from Comerica Park, hosts Maundy Thursday at. 7 p.m., Good Friday service at noon, Good Friday Tenebrae at 7 p.m. and Festival of the Resurrection at 10 a.m.
- Trinity Lutheran Church: Live from Clinton Township on Easter, tune in for traditional worship at 8 a.m. and contemporary at 11 a.m.
- Birmingham First: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday livestream at 7 p.m., and Easter Sunday worship is at 9:30 a.m. (10 a.m. for Berkley First).
- First United Methodist Church Saline: Watch for a 9 a.m. Easter service.
- Immanuel United Methodist Church: Holy Week services stream all week from this Eastpointe church, including 1 p.m. Good Friday (live from Roseville) and at 6:30 and 11 a.m. Easter Sunday.
- Newburg United Methodist Church: This Livonia church streams 7 p.m. Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services and goes Facebook Live at 10 a.m. Easter Sunday.
- Grace Church: A 9:30 a.m. Easter celebration happens at this Canton church, along with a 6 p.m. Good Friday service.
- Highland Cornerstone: Join in Good Friday services at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.; Easter services are 6 p.m. Saturday and 9 and 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday.
- Oak Pointe Church: This Novi church is offering connections with pastors during this time, along with streaming services for the Easter season.
- Shepherd’s Gate Church: At this Shelby Township church, Pastor Tim leads devotions at 7 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; Maundy Thursday is 7 p.m., Good Friday noon and 7 p.m. and Easter service Sunday 8:30, 10 and 11:30 p.m.
- Faith Church: This Rochester Hills church offers a variety of services on Zoom; Good Friday is set for noon and Easter at 10:30 a.m.
- First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor: Livestreams Holy Week bedtime stories and prayers for kids; watch for services, too.
- The First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn: Tune in for various Holy Week reflections at 7 p.m. Easter Sunday worship is at 10 a.m.
- Ward Church: Livestream this Northville church’s Easter services at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. — plus 2, 4 and 6 p.m. for plenty of options.
Orthodox Easter, April 19, 2020
- Assumption Greek Orthodox Church: Catch some PJ Bible Stories with Mr. Nick and Scotty, plus watch for services from this St. Clair Shores church.
- St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church: Tune in to this Sterling Heights church’s livestream page for the latest services.
- St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church: This Troy church is livestreaming services; click on the link for the latest.