As parents, we put off getting our child’s haircut for as long as we can, for a number of reasons: we don’t want them to get upset, we don’t want to get upset and above all, we don’t want anyone to mess up our precious baby’s hair.
But, if you cannot wait any longer for that trim, check out this list of baby haircut places below to help make that first haircut milestone a little bit easier on you and your child.
- Address: 6 Nickels Arcade, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-665-7894
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7:45 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3:45 p.m. Saturday; closed Sunday
Your little builder will love the Lego exhibit this barber shop has. The Lego train runs throughout the shop and gives your child something to focus on while getting his or her haircut. The child can sit in “an old-fashioned pedal car chair” and get a lollipop at the end.
- Canton: 42047 Ford Road, 734-606-0900
- Northville: 15400 Sheldon Road, 734-738-6863
- Westland: 35607 W. Warren Road, 734-604-5000
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
This action-packed salon has games for the whole family to play – including foosball, air hockey and video games. They also have five TVs that play sports and cartoons, so there is something to watch for everyone. Your child will be so distracted by the ambiance, he or she won’t even mind getting a cut.
- Address: 719 E. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-556-0534
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Your boys will love coming here for their haircut, especially since they can watch television right at the stylist’s station. The waiting room is equipped with four flat screen TVs, comfy seats and a foosball table. The salon gives out a certificate to commemorate your child’s first cut.
- Canton: 44308 Cherry Hill Road, 734-981-1400; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; closed Sunday
- Royal Oak: 215 E. 12 Mile Road, 248-917,1431; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
This place has everything a kid would want – including a jungle gym with a slide, TVs and video games at the station, plus car chairs for them to sit in. They even have a “baby’s first haircut” package, which comes with a certificate of the child’s haircut with his or her picture and hair clippings. The stylists are also trained to work with kids with special needs. Look for the new location in Northville, which is opening March 2018.
- Address: 14600 Lakeside Circle, Unit 1477, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-200-6737
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 12-6 p.m. Sunday
The staff here are very accommodating, especially for children with special needs and ones getting their haircut for the first time. They have car chairs and play movies for the kids to watch. They will even “give your child a balloon, a prize and a lollipop” after their first haircut.
- Address: Inside Sola Salon Studios, 22713 Allen Road, Woodhaven
- Phone: 734-512-8161
- Hours: 3-7 p.m. Monday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday
This appointment-only salon offers many things for little ones, including cool superhero and princess capes, airplane chairs and tons of cool stuff for them to look at all over the salon. Baby’s first haircut includes a special certificate.
- Address: 6025 Rochester Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-879-5616
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; closed Sunday
They have a room just for kids, which includes boat and frog chairs and sea life paintings covering the walls. This salon won Nickelodeon’s “Parents’ Picks Awards” in 2010.
- Address: 39773 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-333-5149
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday
This salon specializes in kids cuts. For your child’s first haircut, they will receive a certificate, lock of their hair, a balloon, lollipop and stuffed animal. The stylists are trained to work with kids with special needs and “find no greater reward than the smile on their faces as they leave our salon with their new haircut,” the site notes.
- Address: 2980 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-546-2237
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday; closed Sunday
This may be a shop geared at men, but the barbers are trained in cutting children’s hair, too. This place has online booking to make things a little bit easier. The stylists have toys for the kids to play with and have done a lot of first haircuts.
- Address: 3290 N. Pontiac Trail, Commerce Township
- Phone: 248-960-7924
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; closed Sunday
Kids haircuts in a chill, fun environment. That’s the focus at this salon, which has stylists who are “well trained to deal with all circumstances.” They offer kids cuts and bang trims, along with fancier ‘dos for special occasions. If you’re looking for a quick cut with an impatient little one, this is definitely the place.
- Ann Arbor, East: 3260 Washtenaw Ave., 734-975-9400; 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Ann Arbor, West: 2139 W. Stadium Blvd., 734-368-9170; 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
This fun and colorful salon is a favorite for little tykes. Kids can sit and get their cut in a neon car or VW van and play with the many toys that the salon provides. The “baby’s first haircut” package includes a certificate and locket of hair. They also are trained to cut the hair of kids with special needs.
Did we miss any baby haircut places? Tell us in comments.