Black Friday the day of deals. After finishing up Thanksgiving dinner (or – let’s be real – before that even), bargain hunters can get a jump on their holiday shopping online or in stores (with masks and social distancing protocols). And in 2020, there are plenty of Black Friday deals to be had by parents in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.
From doorbusters to deals on toys, home goods and electronics, retailers and e-tailers are offering a variety of sales that begin as early as the Wednesday before Turkey Day.
Here, Metro Parent hooks you up with where to find the big discounts of 2020, as well as some of the best Black Friday deals for moms, dads and kids this year.
When are the sales in 2020 – and where?
Black Friday ads for several of the most popular stores are available at BlackFriday.com. The ads feature items available in store and online.
Many retailer websites offer discounted or free shipping with Black Friday purchases, so check each store’s website before placing orders.
Online retail giant Amazon.com doesn’t have a specific Black Friday ad, but it plans to post deals everyday through Nov. 27. The site is also offering free shipping with no minimum purchase for the holidays.
As far as the major big-box chains, here’s an overview of hours and in-store vs. online details for this year:
- Best Buy is holding Black Friday sales that start Nov. 5 and run through Black Friday. on Best Buy is Thanksgiving Day this year and opens at 5 a.m. on Black Friday. Contactless, curbside pick-up options are available.
- Kohl’s opens for Black Friday deals is closed on Thanksgiving Day. Stores open at 5 a.m. and online hours have yet to be determined. They’re offering free store pick-up drive-up and shipping this year to keep Black Friday safe during the pandemic.
- Meijer Black Friday sales starts Nov. 22 and runs through Nov. 28. Stores are open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Thanksgiving Day and 8 a.m.-midnight Black Friday. Sales on TV, bluetooth speakers, smart watches and more.
- Target is offering a full month of Black Friday sales that run each Thursday-Saturday. Find deals on clothing, health items, pet care, electronics and more. Price match available through Christmas Day.
- Walmart’s Black Friday deals begin online on Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. Stores open for sales at 5 p.m. Black Friday. The big deals aren’t discounts this year, but rather a re-stock of the hottest items like PS5 and Oculus Quest 2.
Looking for some of the hottest items in 2020? We’ve scoured the Black Friday ads for you and scouted out some of the biggest deals. Here is what we’ve found!
Note: Because of the coronavirus pandemic, stores are spreading their sales over a week or more. Check with each store about their sales before heading out.
Around the House: Best Black Friday deals in 2020
One of the hottest items of the Christmas season will be air fryers.
Target will have a 7-quart version for $59.49. Kohl’s will have a 8-quart air fryer/pressure cooker available for $169.99 and purchasers will receive $20 in Kohl’s Cash (for every $50 spent). Best Buy will have the Chefman brand 8-quart model for $59.99.
Best Buy will offer an iRobot Roomba 960 for $299.99, Walmart is selling the self-emptying Shark IQ Robot for $329 and Kohl’s is offering both Shark and iRobot options for $169.99-$250.74, plus Kohl’s Cash.
Home assistants are all the rage and that reflects in this year’s Black Friday sales. Score yours at Kohl’s for $30-$50 or Meijer for $18.99.
Electronics: Best Black Friday deals in 2020
One of the hottest electronic items this year are Apple’s AirPods. You’ll pay $299 for AirPods Pro at Meijer, $129.99 at Target. You can also score JBL Wireless headphones for $59.99 at Best Buy, too.
Soundbars are rising in popularity this year. You can get Samsung soundbars for $79.99-$169.99 at Meijer or an entire sound system with soundbar for $1399 from Best Buy.
Who needs a phone when you can have a watch. Save $50 off your smart watch at Target. Score a Versa 3 Fitbit for $200 or $129.99 at Meijer.
Toys: Best Black Friday deals in 2020
Walmart will have select toys on sale and Meijer will have buy-one-get-one 50 percent off deals on toys, including Marvel and Peppa Pig toys. Kohls is also offering sales on Barbie, Little Tykes, Lego and other brands.
Target will have select books on sale the entire week.
Video games systems and games
This year’s hottest game system is the PS5, Oculus Quest 2 and Xbox Series X. Most are sold out but Walmart is offering these gaming systems online starting at 7 p.m.
Kohls is offering PS4 games on sale for $9.99-$19 and retro handheld games at 30% off and Meijer is offering $20-$30 off select PS4 and Nintendo Switch games
If board games are on the kids’ Christmas lists, Meijer is offering BOGO on select card games and puzzles
This post was originally published for the 2018 Black Friday season and is updated regularly.