My earliest memory of a Paczki was in sixth grade. My industrial science teacher was Polish and went all out for the holiday.
He would dress up in his folk attire and travel from class to class with his rolling cart, handing out Paczki’s to everyone who wanted one. They were amazing and my mouth is watering just thinking about them.
Since then, I’ve been very particular about my Paczkis — and the chain store-bought kind just don’t compare to plump and pillowy decadence when they’re freshly made.
Detroit is one of the few places that celebrates “Paczki Day,” along with Chicago and other large cities in the Midwest and Northwest. It is one of the few holidays that is a big deal here and many people celebrate — even if they’re not Polish.
Here, we’ve rounded up a list of 14 local bakeries that make and sell real paczkis for Fat Tuesday. Plus, find four other local establishments that have joined in on the Paczki Day fun with their unique twists on the delicious delight.
- Address: 2975 E. Maple Road, Troy
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday
Flavors include strawberry, plum, cannoli, blueberry, lemon, custard, chocolate custard, raspberry, cherry and apricot. Order online or stop by before they’re gone.
- Address: 111 W. Michigan Ave., Saline
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 5:30 a.m.-noon Saturday, closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Paczki flavors are custard, chocolate, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, lemon, cream and prune.
- Address: 17041 W. Warren Ave., Detroit
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
This year’s flavors include strawberry, blueberry, apricot, buttercream, prune, lemon, raspberry, apple and more.
- Address: 2030 W. Stadium Blvd., Ann Arbor
- Hours: 6 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
Flavors include strawberry, apple, custard, buttercream, blueberry and raspberry.
- Address: 24555 Eureka Road, Taylor
- Hours: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
Flavors include strawberry, lemon, raspberry, cream cheese, chocolate cream, apple, custard, more.
- Address: 28173 Woodward Ave., Berkley
- Hours: 4 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday, 4 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Saturday, 4 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday
The Paczki flavors for this year are chocolate cream, butter cream, raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, apple, lemon, cherry and custard.
- Address: 18841 Allen Road, Melvindale
- Hours: 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday.
Flavors include cannoli cream, cream cheese, strawberry, raspberry, cherry, prune, custard, chocolate cream, white cream, apricot, blueberry, lemon and pineapple.
- Address: 10335 Joseph Campau St., Hamtramck
- Hours: 6 a.m.-6:00 p.m. daily
Get in line early for a sweet Paczki treat. Flavors include, but are not limited to pineapple, cherry, apple and plain sugar.
- Address: 9833 Joseph Campau St., Hamtramck
- Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Has some unique flavors — strawberry cheesecake, triple chocolate and peanut butter and jelly. Also has some classics — strawberry, raspberry, custard and more.
- Address: 28418 Joy Road, Livonia
- Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Wednesday & Saturday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Friday, closed on Sundays.
Offer the flavors custard, apple, blueberry, prune, strawberry, raspberry and lemon. Available for a limited time.
- Address: 1429 Gratiot Ave., Suite 109, Detroit
- Hours: Contact for details
Preordered paczkis come in raspberry, strawberry, blueberry and vanilla custard. Mix and match options available.
- Address: 19115 West Road, Woodhaven
- Hours: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Pre-order any of their paczki flavors, which include custard, lemon, apple, strawberry, cannoli cream filled, pb&j and crème brulee.
- Address: 13931 Farmington Road, Livonia
- Hours: 5 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 5 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, closed Monday; Drive through open 24 hours.
The flavors this year are raspberry-glazed, apple, lemon, custard and chocolate cream.
- Address: 29100 Schoenherr Road, Warren
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, closed Mondays
Regular flavors include blueberry, lemon, apple, raspberry, custard, buttercream, chocolate custard and strawberry. Specialty flavors include cappuccino cream and cannoli cream filled.
Paczki Day alternatives
Unique flavors and alcoholic Paczki beverages are putting a twist on this Polish tradition.
Many places in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor are making their own mark on this holiday in order to attract locals to their spots.
Check out the places below to keep the Pazcki Day fun rolling with paczki beers, pierogis and more.
- Address: 2462 Riopelle St., Detroit
- Hours: Noon-6 p.m. Wednesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, closed Monday-Tuesday
Distributes raspberry paczki vodka every year for Mardi Gras. Order online. It will sell out fast.
- Address: 10551 E. Jefferson Ave., Detroit
- Hours: Regular hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday-Tuesday. Feb. 14-16 hours: Open at 9 a.m. Sunday and 7 a.m. Monday-Tuesday.
Not your typical paczki place. Choose from six flavors including three different custards!
- Address: 10339 Conant St., Hamtramck
- Hours: Pick-up for pre-ordered bombs is 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Will be offering a ‘Paczki bomb’, which is a shot and a donut all in one.
- Address: 2930 Jacob St., Hamtramck
- Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. March 1, 2022
Will have Buffalo Trace and Fireball paczki available to purchase this year. Must wear a mask.
This post was originally published in 2021 and is updated regularly.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.