My earliest memory of a Paczki was in sixth grade. My industrial science teacher was Polish and went all out for the holiday.
He would dress up in his folk attire and travel from class to class with his rolling cart, handing out Paczki’s to everyone who wanted one. They were amazing and my mouth is watering just thinking about them.
Since then, I’ve been very particular about my Paczkis — and the chain store-bought kind just don’t compare to plump and pillowy decadence when they’re freshly made.
Detroit is one of the few places that celebrates “Paczki Day,” along with Chicago and other large cities in the Midwest and Northwest. It is one of the few holidays that is a big deal here and many people celebrate — even if they’re not Polish.
Here, we’ve rounded up a list of 14 local bakeries that make and sell real paczkis for Fat Tuesday. Plus, find six other local establishments that have joined in on the Paczki Day fun with their unique twists on the delicious delight.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some local establishments may be curbside or have strict safety protocols in place. Many establishments only offer paczkis on Fat Tuesday, which is Feb. 16, 2021. Call to find out about ordering ahead and pickup times.
- Address: 2975 E. Maple Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-689-3636
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday, closed Mondays
- Cost: $10/half dozen, $19/dozen
Preorder online (or call for orders larger than five dozen) by noon, Monday, Feb. 15. Flavors include strawberry, plum, cannoli, blueberry, lemon, custard, chocolate custard, raspberry, cherry and apricot.
- Address: 111 W. Michigan Ave., Saline
- Phone: 734-429-9120
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 5:30 a.m.-noon Saturday, closed on Sundays and Mondays.
- Cost: $1.75/each, $20/dozen
Paczki flavors are custard, chocolate, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, lemon, cream and prune.
- Address: 17041 W. Warren Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-582-0700
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
- Cost: $2/each, $21.99/dozen
This year’s flavors include strawberry, blueberry, apricot, buttercream, prune, pineapple, caramel, lemon, cream cheese, chocolate, strawberry, custard and more.
- Address: 2030 W. Stadium Blvd., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-7944
- Hours: 6 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday
- Cost: $2.50/each, $30/dozen
Flavors include strawberry, apple, custard, buttercream, blueberry and raspberry.
- Address: 24555 Eureka Road, Taylor
- Phone: 734-946-8436
- Hours: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
- Cost: $1.75/each, $9/half dozen, $17.50/dozen
Flavors include strawberry, lemon, raspberry, cream, chocolate cream, apple, custard, more.
- Address: 28173 Woodward Ave., Berkley
- Phone: 248-542-4653
- Hours: 4 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday, 4 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Saturday, 4 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: $16/half dozen, $27/dozen
The Paczki flavors for this year are chocolate cream, butter cream, raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, apple, lemon, cherry and custard.
- Address: 18841 Allen Road, Melvindale
- Phone: 313-928-9500
- Hours: 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday.
- Cost: $2/each, $2.25/cannoli cream, $2.50/cream cheese, $9/half dozen, $17/dozen
Flavors include cannoli cream, cream cheese, strawberry, raspberry, cherry, prune, custard, chocolate cream, white cream, apricot, blueberry, lemon and pineapple.
- Address: 10335 Joseph Campau St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-872-1988
- Hours: 6 a.m.-6:00 p.m. daily
- Cost: $20/dozen
Get in line early for a sweet Paczki treat. Flavors include, but are not limited to pineapple, cherry, apple and plain sugar.
- Address: 9833 Joseph Campau St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-875-1334
- Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed on Sundays.
- Special extended hours (Feb. 12-17): 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday, 3 a.m.-? Tuesday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday.
- Cost: $24.95/dozen classic flavors, $34.95/dozen specialty flavors
Has some unique flavors — strawberry cheesecake, triple chocolate and peanut butter and jelly. Also has some classics — strawberry, raspberry, buttercream, custard and more.
- Address: 28418 Joy Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-425-2060
- Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Wednesday & Saturday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Friday, closed on Sundays.
- Cost: $2/each, $11.50/half dozen, $20/dozen
Offer the flavors custard, apple, blueberry, prune, strawberry, raspberry and lemon. Available for a limited time.
- Address: 1429 Gratiot Ave., Suite 109, Detroit
- Phone: 313-614-9393
- Hours: Store hours – 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday; Curbside pickup for online orders – 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday-Saturday
- Cost: Preorder online — $24/dozen
Preordered paczkis come in raspberry, strawberry, blueberry and vanilla custard. Mix and match options available.
- Address: 19115 West Road, Woodhaven
- Phone: 734-672-7275
- Hours: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: $2.75/each, $15/half dozen, $27/dozen
Pre-order any of their paczki flavors, which include custard, lemon, apple, strawberry, cannoli cream filled, pb&j and crème brulee.
- Address: 13931 Farmington Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-425-8569
- Hours: 5 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 5 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, closed Monday; Drive through open 24 hours.
- Cost: $24/dozen
The flavors this year are apple, prune, chocolate cream, custard, lemon and raspberry jelly.
- Address: 29100 Schoenherr Road, Warren
- Phone: 586-777-9010
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, closed Mondays; Open 7 a.m.-7 p.m. the Monday before Fat Tuesday and at 6 a.m.-7 p.m. on Fat Tuesday
- Cost: $27.99/dozen of cannoli cream, $19.99/dozen of custard or jelly
Regular flavors include blueberry, lemon, apple, raspberry, custard, buttercream, chocolate custard and strawberry. Specialty flavors include cappuccino cream and cannoli cream filled.
Paczki Day alternatives
Unique flavors and alcoholic Paczki beverages are putting a twist on this Polish tradition.
Many places in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor are making their own mark on this February holiday in order to attract locals to their spots.
Check out the places below to keep the Pazcki Day fun rolling with paczki beers, pierogis and more.
- Address: 25113 Jefferson Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-218-7990
- Hours: Noon-10 p.m. daily
- Cost: $6/pint, $10/howler, $20/growler
Phat Ash is the name of their Paczki beer that will be for sale on Fat Tuesday.
- Address: 2462 Riopelle St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-338-3760
- Hours: Noon-6 p.m. Wednesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, closed Monday-Tuesday
- Cost: $30/paczki vodka (no limit this year)
Distributes raspberry paczki vodka every year for Mardi Gras. Order online. Pick up will take place Feb. 3-14 at the tasting room.
- Address: 2990 Yemans St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-874-5726
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-midnight (bar open until 2 a.m.) Wednesday-Friday, noon-8 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: $6/3 pierogis
Offering a raspberry paczki pierogi and Boston crème paczki pierogi this year.
- Address: 10551 E. Jefferson Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-822-2729
- Hours: Regular hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday-Tuesday. Feb. 14-16 hours: Open at 9 a.m. Sunday and 7 a.m. Monday-Tuesday.
- Cost: $3.50-$4/each, $18/half dozen, $35/dozen
Not your typical paczki place. Flavors include raspberry, pineapple curd with coconut, poppyseed cheesecake, plum honey, butterscotch Boston cream and rose custard.
- Address: 10339 Conant St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-873-1117
- Hours: Pick-up for pre-ordered bombs is 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Cost: $16/3 Paczki bombs, $30/6 Paczki bombs, $55/12 Paczki bombs
- Address: 2930 Jacob St., Hamtramck
- Phone: 313-874-2991
- Hours: This free event will take place at 7 a.m.-10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 16.
- Cost: $4/drink
Will have Buffalo Trace and Fireball paczki available to purchase this year. Must wear a mask.