Treating yourself can take on different meanings depending on the person. Some people pick up a special treat at the grocery store while others go out to eat. The difference lies in the price, time and importance of the moment.
But lately it feels as though just making it through the day is a means for celebration — and what better way to celebrate than with a novelty chocolate? Something a bit past what you can get at the grocery store.
Here are 10 chocolate bars in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor that can you out with a special sweet treat.
- Address: 215 N. Old Woodward Ave, Birmingham
- Phone: 248-885-8006
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Between origin chocolates and date chocolates, Bateel USA harvests cacao from Peru, Venezuela and Indonesia. They come in assortments based on preference to almonds, dark chocolate or dates.
- Address: 1728 W. Maple, Birmingham
- Phone: 844-882-2226
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday
Their Wow! Cocao collection is filled with marble-esque chocolates in unique flavors such as Saffron Twist, Lavender Lov, and Peppercorn Crunch. With a variety of color splashes and designs, they look more like painted stone than chocolate. Some rounded, some paint splattered and some swirled, they are almost too pretty to eat.
- Address: 441 W Canfield St, Suite 12, Detroit
- Phone: 313-316-1430
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Sunday
These delectable bonbons will leave you wanting more with fun flavors such as Killer Cereal, Mustachio, and Pudge Frownie which are their quirky takes on Fruity Pebbles, caramel nut and a dark chocolate walnut brownie, respectively. But don’t let the names fool you; the taste is as impactful as a gourmet chocolate. Hamtramck and downtown locations currently closed due to COVID.
- Address: 65 Macomb Place, Suite E, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-468-1170
- Hours: 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday
These rich chocolates come in the form of caramels, assorted chocolates, and truffles. With delicate but artistic designs they are minimalist and offer and expansive flavor palate with choices such as Cherry Cordial and Crème de Menthe.
- Address: 20737 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Woods
- Phone: 313-881-2888
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
Their wide array of specialty French chocolates make for the perfect gift. The buttercup truffles and assorted chocolates made at the original Alinosi factory will make your mouth water.
- Address: 26300 Michigan Ave, Inkster
- Phone: 313-565-2505
- Hours: 11 a.m. -5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday September-May
From adorable turtle shaped chocolates to refined rum cherries, this shop has it all. Locally sourced cherries and signature chocolates sold in blocks or coatings for malt balls, raisins and toffee make for a tough choice to be made: which one are you going to get?
- Address: 985 N. Mill St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-788-5453
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
These chocolate bars are beautiful in execution. The seemingly painted on designs add color to the already explosive flavors. With assorted bon bons to dipped marshmallows, the offerings are extensive between Ruby chocolate bars and White chocolate strawberry and cream bon bons.
- Address: 11061 Trinkle Road, Dexter
- Phone: 734-660-5636
Mindo Chocolate Makers begins the chocolate process as soon as the beans are harvested in Ecuador. Their motto, “bean-to-bar” is taken quite literally as they don’t accept hybrid beans to ensure quality taste. Their chocolate bars come in a variety of cacao percentages and flavors such as Michigan Cherry and Blueberry Dark Chocolate. Find them at a local retailer near you.
- Address: Based in Detroit
- Phone: 313-288-9046
These truffles are made from Belgium chocolate and a variety of specialty fruits and spices. They pack a lot of flavor into a small bite and come in unique assortments such as rosemary sea salt, candied ginger and cinnamon cayenne.
- Address: 23770 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-464-5372
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
The gourmet chocolates from Sanders are a timeless favorite with classics such as sea salt caramel, pecan cluster and dark chocolate peppermint. Specialty molded chocolates come in the shapes of pumpkins, footballs and frogs. Locations in Rochester, Grosse Pointe and Wyandotte, too.
Do you love any other chocolate bars in metro Detroit or Ann Arbor? Tell us about them in the comments so we can add them to our list.