Local rock climbers of all ages can tackle rock climbing at several indoor rock climbing places in southeast Michigan. Kids as young as 5 can strive to reach the summit at one of these spots. From top roping to bouldering, novice to veteran routes, private climbing lessons and kids programs, this list has your family covered.
So pick one of these indoor rock climbing walls, and let the fancy footwork begin. And if rock climbing isn’t for you, check out one of the other play centers for kids in Southeast Michigan.
- Address: 1401 Broadway, Detroit
- Cost: Check ahead for membership costs
This climbing wall features a natural, seamless rock face with routes for beginners through advanced climbers. The climbing wall is open when a safety instructor is on site and can also be rented out for events and parties.
- Address: 16777 Northline Road, Southgate
- Cost: Check ahead for membership costs
This climbing wall features a natural, seamless rock face with routes for beginners through advanced climbers and trained staff members will teach you the basics. The Downriver Family YMCA offers rock climbing classes for ages 4-17. It can also be rented out for events and parties.
- Address: 3500 Orleans St., Detroit
- Cost: $20/ages 14-plus, $17/ages 13 and under, $5/shoe rental, $3/harness rental
No climbing experience is required. All climbers must complete a waiver and receive a facility orientation that includes clipping in and out of autobelays before climbing.
- Address: 15801 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Cost: Daily passes: residents: $8/ages 4-12, $10/ages 13-plus; non-residents (must accompany a Dearborn resident): $9/ages 4-17, $13/ages 18-plus
The expansive wall is 50 feet long, 35 feet high and features a 10-15 degree overhang on a custom-design made to mirror a realistic alpine surface. Find dihedrals, arêtes (aka sharp mountain ridges) and endurance routes. Kids ages 6-13 can tackle the daily “Top Climber” Youth Wall Program to be eligible for prizes and even named on the spot’s leaderboard. You must sign the waiver and be certified by the instructor before climbing.
- Address: 15100 Hubbard St., Livonia
- Cost: Daily passes: residents: $9.50/ages 18-61, $8/ages 62-plus and ages 14-17, $6/ages 4-13; non-residents: $19/ages 18-61, $16/ages 62-plus and ages 14-17, $12/ages 4-13
This 42-foot-high by 36-foot-wide rock wall comes equipped with 13 stations and offers several novice to challenging routes. Beginners must take a one-time class to learn how to belay. Experienced climbers must be “tested out” to receive their top-roping and lead-climbing cards. On “Social Climb” Fridays, pay $3 per climb, belayer provided.
- Addresses: Locations in Bloomfield Township, Canton, Commerce Township, Novi, Rochester Hills, Shelby Township and Troy
- Cost: Included in Junior Membership
Promote your body’s strength and agility with the rock walls at this fitness center chain. It offers open climbs, classes, scheduled group events and more. Find other on-site facilities like racquetball, tennis, squash and basketball courts; an indoor pool, a Pilates studio and a LifeCafe and Spa for energy boosts. Don’t sweat taking the little ones – there are family locker rooms and an on-site child care center.
- Address: 5210 Gullen Mall, Detroit
- Cost: $15/daily pass without equipment rental, $20/with equipment rental; $80-$100/year-round pass
Got a Wayne State student? This rock climbing wall is located right on Wayne State University’s campus. The 30-foot-high climbing wall, equipped with beginner to expert, color-coded routes, features top-rope and lead options, and bouldering problems that reach 10 feet high. A belay check must be administered by staff. Be sure to keep an eye out for free climb nights that happen two to three times a year.
- Addresses: 82 Aprill Drive, Ann Arbor and 1103 W. 13 Mile Road, Madison Heights
- Cost: Starter Lesson: $45, Day pass: $20, Gear Rental Bundle: $10
Planet Rock is a world-class rock climbing facility. Families looking for an introduction into the sport take the Starter Lesson, which includes a lesson to learn how to safely use the facility, rental gear and climbing for the remainder of the day. You can find a variety of unique and challenging climbs that are fun for any experience level. Planet Rock also offers weekly coach-led youth programs, a nationally ranked climbing team and summer camps.
- Address: 35765 Northline Road, Romulus
- Cost: Day passes: $10/resident, $15/non-resident
This 23-foot-high by 20-foot-wide climbing wall has three belaying stations and was “designed to replicate the look and feel of natural rock.” There are several routes to take on your way to the summit for all levels.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.