The holiday season is not complete without the perfect tree to decorate with ornaments, lights and ribbon. Throughout southeast Michigan, there are tons of Christmas tree farms and tree lots to help make this holiday season a special one.
Check out the different spots offering fresh pre-cut and u-cut trees. While you’re there, you may even see Santa and warm up with hot chocolate or apple cider.
Before heading out, visit the Michigan Christmas Tree Association for tips and additional information. Here are a few of ours:
- Most tree farms have saws on hand, and they’ll trim and package your tree so it’s easy to take home. Consider bringing a few bungee cords if you’d like, but otherwise, you’re covered.
- Farms have different season start/end dates. Most open the weekend after Thanksgiving, but it’s always best to call ahead.
- Prices and tree types will vary depending on the farm.
- Some farms don’t accept credit or debit cards; not all have electricity. Be sure to bring cash or a checkbook, just in case. Call ahead if you have any questions.
- Many offer activities like bonfires, hayrides and food — usually on the weekends. Again, check ahead to be sure.
Need more information? Get some additional insights from experts on choosing, chopping and caring for real, fresh-cut Christmas trees.
Opened in 1988, this farm continues to provide quality Christmas trees and hand-trims them to the perfect shape and density. For best selection, you may call them to reserve your tree early. Then, cut it later when you’re ready.
Arend offers various Christmas trees. Choose from one of four tree types – Colorado Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir or Canaan Fir. Also, pre-cut trees are available.
- Address: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
Choose between u-cut and pre-cut Christmas trees. Take free wagon rides on the 100-plus acre farm to choose your tree, while sipping on their famous hot cider. They offer Fraser Fir, Concolor Fir, Douglas Fir, Scotch Pine, White Spruce and Blue Spruce trees.
- Address: 796 Warren Road, Ann Arbor
Get the total experience of Braun’s. Guests have the opportunity to find the perfect tree and cut it down or buy pre-cut. Bring it back to the shop to have it wrapped in plastic for easy transport. This is a dog-friendly place.
- Address: 4380 N. Hickory Ridge Road, Highland
The family-operated farm conducts year-round tasks including planting and harvesting. Choose between u-cut or pre-cut trees. They’re offering wagon rides, a warming barn, refreshments and visits with Santa this year, too. Pets are welcome on a leash.
- Address: 4780 Seymour Lake Road, Oxford
Here, you’ll find a wide selection of trees including Fraser Firs, Korean Firs and Concolor Firs in the 6- to 10-foot range. Your tree will be shaken, wrapped and drilled (if your stand requires drilling). Santa will visit the farm on the first three weekends it is open. Your child may write a letter to Santa and place it in Santa’s mailbox.
- Address: 2775 Bricker Road, Goodells
This family-owned Christmas tree farm offers cut-your-own trees. If you know what you’re looking for, ask the wagon driver and they will take you to the right place. They’ll pick you and your tree up afterwards to shake it and wrap it tight for easy transport. Be sure to check out the handmade wreaths, too.
- Address: 14745 Sharon Hollow Road, Manchester
Start your day off taking a free wagon ride to access the field with different types of trees. There’s a children play area and a Christmas barn with sing-alongs and refreshments.
- Address: 5461 Whipple Lake Road, Clarkston
Hodgson Tree Farms offer various species of u-cut and we-cut trees including Colorado Blues, Concolor Firs and more.
- Address: 32120 King Road, New Boston
This choose and cut tree farm is only five miles south of Detroit Metro Airport. The tree options are Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, White Spruce, Blue Spruce and White Pine. Cash and check only.
- Address: 13416 Lulu Road, Ida
Matthes Evergreen Farm has been in business for more than 50 years and offers a family farm atmosphere. The choose-and-cut farm offers several kinds of trees — or you can pick a pre-cut tree. The trees include Fraser Fir, Scotch Pine, Canaan Fir, White Pines, Douglas Fir, Colorado Blue Spruce and Norway Spruce.
- Address: 4235 Middle Road, Highland
For more than 30 years, Middle Road Tree Farm has worked hard to appeal to its customers. Choose from various u-cut trees of all sizes. Choose a Fraser Fir, Concolor Fir or Blue Spruce to take home. Cash or check only.
- Address: 303 W. Newark Road, Lapeer
This spot offers a large selection of “choose and cut” Christmas trees up to 14 feet tall as well as wreaths. They offer shaking, bailing and drilling services, too. Santa and Mrs. Claus will be there on select dates.
- Address: 8107 S. Jennings Road, Swartz Creek
If you’re looking for a specific type, feel free to ask for help when you arrive. It offers Noble Fir, Balsam Fir, Fraser Fir, Concolor (White) Fir, Blue Spruce, White Spruce and Scots Pine. They have 14-foot trees and 20-foot trees available. Pets are welcome, but you must keep them on a leash.
- Address: 7258 Jackman Road, Ida
Founded in 1990, the farm’s mission is for families to have the best holiday experience. Roam through 14 acres for the perfect Christmas tree. You can cut your own or ask the farm to cut it for you.
- Address: 6214 Shea Road, Marine City
This tree farm is located in the northern Metro Detroit area and offers choose and cut trees, wagon rides and free wrapping. Food and beverages are available to purchase. There is even a campfire to help keep you warm.
- Address: 5767 Fox Lake Road, Goodrich
Visit the beautiful landscape with rolling hills and wildlife. The 80-acre farm boasts free hayrides during the weekends and three warming sheds with hot chocolate, apple cider and baked goods.
- Address: 10050 Jerusalem Road, Chelsea
Located seven miles west of Ann Arbor, the family-owned farm is a step away from the parking lot and gift shop. You can choose from main holiday varieties of trees such as Korean Fir, White Spruce, Fraser Fir, Concolor Fir or Blue Spruce. They also have a limited supply of Douglas Fir, Canaan Fir and White Pine.
- Address: 8000 Chamberlin Road, Dexter
Located five miles north of Dexter, the u-cut tree farm offers Norway Spruce, Canaan Firs and Blue Spruce. This farm is senior friendly and will assist with cutting and loading your tree if you need it. Cash or check only.
This post is updated regularly.