The chilly season has swooped in, and it’s time to dig out the ice skates from the back of the closet.
Whether you and your kiddies are beginners, or you’ve perfected the Biellmann spin, metro Detroit has plenty of icy outdoor locations where locals can test their skills.
But no need to sleuth — we’ve got you covered! Check out this list of local rinks where the entire family can hit the ice.
- Address: 2751 Packard Road, Ann Arbor
- Cost: $6/adult, $5/youth and senior, $3/skate rental
This rink has a cool subfloor that keeps the ice solid even when it’s warmer than 60 degrees.
- Address: 40620 Utica Road, Sterling Heights
- Cost: Free/residents, $5/non-residents, $4/skate rental
This open-air rink is conveniently located in the beautiful Dodge Park. Your family can spin and twirl their winter days away and enjoy some of the other offerings, too.
- Address: 31300 Metropolitan Parkway, Harrison Township
- Cost: Free/skating, $10/per vehicle to enter the park
Skate, spin, or play hockey at your leisure on Lake St. Clair. Picnic tables and a nearby warming station make for apt places to rest. Ice skating rink is located in the west playfield.
- Address: 740 W. Snell Road, Rochester
- Cost: Free
Step onto this outdoor ice rink for a day of freebie fun at Bear Creek Nature Park. Children 12 and under should be accompanied by an adult and children 6 and under should wear a helmet.
- Address: 33314 Grand River Ave., Farmington
- Cost: Call for details
This 4800-square-foot community ice rink offers open skates for enthusiasts of all ages. Skate rentals not available.
- Address: 4300 Main Park Road, Shelby Township
- Cost: Free/skating; $10/per vehicle to enter the park
This scenic Metropark makes for a winter wonderland once the snow settles. A smooth rink is maintained near the boat launch, and designated areas cater to ice hockey players. Make sure to bring your own skates.
- Address: 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Cost: $12/adults, $9/ages 12 and under; $6/skate rental
Campus Martius, a gem situated in the heart of downtown Detroit, hosts spectacular outdoor activities and gigs year-round, but the highlights are the holidays. Ice skate day or night under a 60-foot decked-out Christmas tree at The Rink. Peruse downtown’s holiday lights and get into the holiday spirit at Decked Out Detroit’s Winter Wonderland.
- Address: 221 E. 3rd St., Royal Oak
- Cost: $10/admission, $5 skate rentals
The Rink features a 60-by-90 foot skating rink, great music, special events and more. In addition to ice skating, you can also roast marshmallows or warm up next to their fire pits.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.