If you want some creative bonding time with your kid, scratch the traditional coloring book and make masterpieces on a canvas. You know the popular “wine-and-painting” trend that’s taken moms’ night out by storm? Now many of these venues also have special days for family fun. It’s the same idea – kids recreate a painting step by step, with instructor guidance – just minus vino. No experience needed! Of course, they’re still hot spots for date nights and girls (or guys) outings. Here are a few to check out. Just be sure to check ahead and register in advance.
- Address: 8016 Sheldon Center Road, Canton
- Phone: 734-738-6287
- Cost: Contact for prices
This painting spot in Wayne County offer classes for toddlers through elementary school-aged kids, plus camps, art events and even parties.
- Address: 149 E. Main St., Northville
- Phone: 248-347-6718
- Cost: Price depends on size of the canvas: $25/12-by-12 inch, $35/16-by-20 inch
Don’t let the name fool you. This spot offers more than pottery! You’ll have step-by-step assistance to create a beautiful canvas painting. This spot hosts parties, classes, camps and special events, too.
- Address: Ann Arbor and Detroit
- Phone: 734-277-9253 (Ann Arbor), 734-752-7110 (Detroit)
- Cost: Starts at $20
The offspring of the popular Wine & Canvas, this kid-friendly version swaps out the cabernet for cookies! Ann Arbor hosts a couple per month (they’re posted on the 20th of the month prior) at local family spots including restaurants. “Unicorn” was a recent subject. Detroit currently does a private travel version. Check their site for future Detroit events.
Note: Wine & Canvas is part of a franchise. Its other Michigan locales are in Adrian, Grand Rapids, Jackson, Kalamazoo and Lansing.
- Address: 114. W. Fourth St., Royal Oak
- Phone; 248-544-2234
- Cost: $25-$50/kids (1 hour classes by appointment)
This Royal Oak DIY studio, known for pottery, beading, mosaics and wax hands, also offers canvas painting for kids ages 7-14. You pick the project: your own, or choose from in-house designs. Classes are by appointment (at least a week in advance). Adult and party options, too. Bring your fave beverages and snacks.
- Address: 210 W. University Drive, Rochester; The Mall at Partridge Creek, 17420 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 248-890-7277 (Rochester), 586-530-9090 (Clinton Township)
- Cost: $25
This shop, with locations in Rochester and Clinton Township, is known for its wide variety of classes, camps and artistic supplies. The Friendship Factory makes everything from ribbon bracelets to perfectly painted pictures. Join them for their themed painting parties. Bring a few friends and for two hours all can bond while learning some artistic skills.
- Address: Locations in Ann Arbor, Romeo, Brighton, Dearborn and Romeo
- Phone: 734-720-9777
- Cost: $25/painter
Don’t let the name mislead you – the only thing pouring will be paint during the family days. Check online for the days and locations, but there is one most Saturdays at one of the locations. Instructors will walk children through the painting step-by-step, and parents are welcome to purchase a ticket and join in the fun.
- Address: 45653 Hayes Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-580-3968
- Cost: $25/painter
Parties, camps and some open-to-the-public classes are offered. Check their calendar for family days and kids open studio painting. Parents must be present at the event even if they are not participating. Come create any masterpiece of your choice with a class that usually lasts two hours.
- Address: 109 Maple St., Studio B, Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-282-7477
- Cost: $20/painter
This Wyandotte studio is full of energy. Bring kids ages 5-plus for a fun afternoon of themed painting. Adults are welcome to paint too. If you or your child have never painted before, don’t worry! There is no experience needed. Artists guide you step-by-step to bring out your inner artist. An adult must accompany all children under 8 and check online for family night painting every month.
- Address: 12 S. Main St., Clarkston
- Phone: 248-297-5982
- Cost: $25/painter
Whether you fancy Cubism or a cute pile of cats, your inner artist can shine in Clarkston. Bring (and join – or just watch) kids ages 7-plus to paint during open family sessions. Peek online for upcoming themes or choose the art and even throw a kids birthday bash.
- Address: locations in Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Detroit, Farmington, Ferndale, New Baltimore, Rochester Hills, Roseville, Shelby Township and Wixom
- Phone: 734-662-7928 (Ann Arbor), 313-558-9740 (Dearborn), 313-960-4793 (Detroit), 248-476-7928 (Farmington), 248-850-7182 (Ferndale), 586-949-7928 (New Baltimore), 248-289-6507 (Rochester Hills), 586-204-5406 (Roseville), 586-247-7928 (Shelby Township) and 248-773-7086 (Wixom)
- Cost: Call your location for details
Since opening in Ferndale in ’07, this girls’ night out destination has made its name pairing wine with 16-by-20 canvas creations. It also hosts “Family Day” and afternoon classes for ages 7-plus at select locations.
- Address: 6608 Cooley Lake Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-360-5922
- Cost: Call for details
At The Butterfly Jar, kids can get the whole experience of creativity with multiple classes and painting levels for any age or expert. There’s more than just paint. Sample the platter with their Mix-It-Up class where you can make four pieces of art using clay, mosaic, drawing and painting. Call for details on upcoming Family Fun Nights, too.
- Address: 3406 Fort St., Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-438-0011
- Cost: starts at $15 for kids
The Lush Brush offers a kids painting class for two hours every Saturday. Check online for their themes.
This post was originally published in 2015 and has been updated for 2017.