Santa Claus is coming to your town. He’s a busy guy, but Kris Kringle always makes time to visit the children of southeast Michigan.
Check out Metro Parent’s roundup of the best places to catch Santa in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. You’ll find him in several spots, including southeast Michigan malls, downtowns and at the many holiday parades and festivals in the region.
Be sure to ask about photo package costs, as those are usually an added expense.
Note: In many instances, Santa will not be available to visit with kids on Thanksgiving Day. Check ahead with the venue on this holiday to be sure.
- 2017 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 9, noon-3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 10
- Address: Eastern Market, Kid Rock Commons, 2934 Russell St., Detroit
- Phone: 248-398-3400
BLAC Detroit Magazine is bringing Santa to Detroit for a very special two-day visit. Come by to tell him what you want for Christmas this year. Be sure to bring your own camera so you can snap a photo with the jolly guy! Note: Must pre-register in advance at BLACDetroit.com.
- 2017 Santa hours: Nov. 18-22, 2017: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; Nov. 24-Dec. 10, 2017: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday- Thursday, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26, noon-7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 3, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 10; Dec. 11-17, 2017: 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday; Dec. 18-24, 2017: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 100 Briarwood Circle, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-769-9610
Santa visits the mall starting Nov. 18. Parents can make an appointment online to avoid the lines for a $10 deposit, which will be applied toward your photo package. Santa will visit with four-legged friends, 6:30-7:30 p.m Dec. 10 and Caring Santa, which is geared toward guests with special needs and their families, will be available 9-10:30 a.m. Dec. 3 (reservations are required; see website for details).
- 2017 Santa hours: 5:30-8:30 p.m. Dec. 2
- Address: Detroit Historical Museum, 5401 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-833-1805
Santa swings by the Detroit Historical Museum on Noel Night to hear the wishes of all the good little boys and girls. Kids can also participate in a make-and-take craft activity with the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
- 2017 Santa hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, noon-5 p.m. Sundays Nov. 18-Christmas Eve
- Address: 18000 Vernier Road, Harper Woods
- Phone: 313-371-1501
Santa takes his post to hear those holiday wishes through Christmas Eve. Kids on the autism spectrum can swing by on Nov. 26 and Dec. 3 from 10 a.m.-noon for more toned down visits and furry companions can stop in Dec. 11 and 18 from 5 to 8 p.m. for photos, too.
- 2017 Santa hours: Nov. 17: 5-8 p.m., Nov. 18-Dec. 15: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays, Dec. 16-23: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 24: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. (must be in line by 3 p.m.). Note: Santa will not be available on Thanksgiving Day.
- Address: 18900 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Phone: 800-992-9500
This Santa visit will be an experience to remember. He arrives on Nov. 17 at Santa’s Ice Palace at the Fairlane Town Center, which features falling snow and a place to compare your ice handprint to that of a polar bear. You can also meet the Ice Princess and take photos on the Ice Throne on weekends. Note: personal cameras are not allowed.
- 2017 Santa hours: Breakfast: 8:30-10 a.m. Dec. 2, 9 and 16; Dinner: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Dec. 15, 16 and 17
- Address: 8450 W. 10 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-541-5717
- Cost: Breakfast with Santa: nonmembers: $40/adults 15-plus, $35/kids 14 and under; members: $35/adults 15-plus, $30/kids 14 and under; Dinner with Santa: nonmembers: $44/adults 15-plus, $39/kids 14 and under; members: $39/adults 15-plus, $34/kids 14 and under
At the zoo’s Breakfast with Santa tradition, eat a buffet-style breakfast with Santa Claus in the zoo’s Wildlife Interpretive Gallery. Kids will get a special gift and the opportunity for arts and crafts fun. Have photos taken with Santa, too. During Wild Lights, families have a buffet-style dinner with Santa, also in the Wildlife Interpretive Gallery and the same activities. These are popular events, and tickets are required, so be sure to reserve your seat now! Tickets are required in advance.
- 2017 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Note: weekend days are busiest, so the line closes at 3 p.m. Santa also takes breaks to feed his reindeer in the afternoon.
- Address: 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-982-6001
- Cost: Free with museum admission: $22/adults, $16.50/kids 3-11, free/under age 2; $6/vehicle parking
It’s a chance to see a great museum and meet with Kris Kringle at Santa’s Arctic Landing!
- 2017 Santa hours: 6-9 p.m. Dec. 1-2, 8-9 and 15-16
- Address: Wolcott Mill Metropark, 64162 Kunstman Road, Ray Township
- Phone: 586-749-5997
- Cost: $5/person, $10/park vehicle entry fee
Enjoy a visit with Santa in the mill, take a trip into the past and enjoy old-time activities, like playing with wooden toys using a two-man saw to cut wood for a log cookie ornament craft. Hang out by the bonfire and make s’mores and enjoy a cup of hot mulled cider or hot chocolate. Take the time to see the Model T dump truck or meet Clydesdale horses, a mini horse and donkey, too. Don’t miss the opportunity to see the Festival of Trees this year, too. Families will be delighted by all of the decorated evergreens.
- 2017 Santa hours: parade starts at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 17
- Address: Downtown Northville
- Phone: 248-349-7640
Bring the whole family for a night of dazzling lights and parade floats at this year’s lighted parade; Santa will be sticking around immediately after the parade for those who want to say hello and have their wishes heard. Swing by Northville’s Town Square – and don’t forget the camera!
- 2017 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays Dec. 2, 9 and 16, 1-3 p.m. Sundays Dec. 3, 10 and 17
- Address: Kerrytown Market & Shops, 407 N. Fifth Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-5008
Come visit Santa at Kerrytown and enjoy music, holiday decorations and browsing the shops for presents. Bring a nonperishable food item to donate to Food Gatherers. He stops by on Nov. 26 to light the market’s Christmas tree, too.
- 2017 Santa hours: 4-10 p.m. Dec. 1, noon-10 p.m. Dec. 2
- Address: West Fourth Street between Walnut and Main streets, Rochester
- Phone: 248-656-0060
Inspired by the open-air holiday markets of Europe, the Kris Kringle Market is a great opportunity to shop for special gifts, enjoy fresh foods and hot drinks and of course for a visit and photo with Mr. Claus.
- 2017 Santa hours: During regular mall hours, Nov. 11-17: 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday; Dec. 18-24: 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday; special hours: 6 p.m.-midnight, Nov. 23, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Nov. 24, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Dec. 2.
- Address: 14000 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-247-1590
Come out to visit Santa when he arrives at Lakeside Mall this holiday season! Parents who reserve a time online get a discount on photos. Best of all, Santa is always on duty.
- 2017 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, noon-6 p.m. Sundays Nov. 11-Dec. 24. Note: Santa takes breaks to feed his reindeer 1-2 p.m. and 5:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 3-4 p.m. Sundays
- Address: 37700 W. Six Mile Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-462-1100
Enjoy the many shops and eateries after your visit with Mr. Claus. Find him conveniently located near the food court next to the fireplace, and be sure to take advantage of a variety of photo packages. Santa is also offering sensory-friendly visits on Dec. 10 from 8 to 11 a.m. and pet photos from 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 13, 20 and 27 (Pets must be leashed or in a carrier).
- 2017 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 9-10 and 16-17
- Address: 50165 Eight Mile Road, Northville
- Cost: Free; A monetary donation to help feed the animals of Maybury Farm during the winter months
- Phone: 248-374-0200
Bring your camera for a photo with Santa and his sleigh as Maybury Farm welcomes St. Nick with a warm fire at its welcome center. Parents can enjoy hot cocoa and cookies while they visit the gift shop full of jellies, jams, honey (from the farm) and other Michigan-made holiday gifts.
- 2017 Santa hours: Nov. 8-Dec. 11: noon-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday (breaks: 3-4 p.m. Monday-Friday, noon-12:45 and 3:45-4:30 p.m. Saturday); Dec. 12-Dec. 24: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Christmas Eve (breaks: noon-12:45 and 3:45-4:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 1-1:45 p.m. Sunday)
- Address: 412 W. 14 Mile Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-585-6000
Santa meets kids at Oakland Mall throughout the holiday season in the mall’s center court. A variety of photo packages are available.
- 2017 Santa hours: noon-5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays Nov. 25-Dec. 23
- Address: 2369 Joslyn Court, Lake Orion
- Phone: 248-391-1900
Explore the brightly-decorated village before your Breakfast with Santa at King’s Court Castle. Kris Kringle will walk around and interact with the children. Bring your own camera to take pictures. Then stop by Aldridge’s Always Christmas, which offers a large selection of holiday decorations and collectibles from around the world.
- 2017 Santa hours: 6:30-8 p.m. Dec. 1, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Dec. 2, and 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays Dec. 3-24
- Address: Shain Park, Merrill Street, downtown Birmingham area, Birmingham
- Phone: 248-530-1200
- Cost: $5/donation to go toward
Come by for a photo with Santa in downtown Birmingham. Donations go toward the Birmingham Lions Club and Leader Dogs for the Blind
- 2017 Santa hours: 3-8 p.m. opening day and 5-8 p.m. Fridays, 1-8 p.m. Saturdays, 1-7 p.m. Sundays Nov. 25-Dec. 23
- Address: Heritage Park Activities Building, 12111 Pardee Road, Taylor
- Phone: 313-571-0413
- Cost: $3/general (cash only), free/under 3; $8/photos with Santa
Here you’ll find hundreds of animated characters, 23 magic forest scenes and more. Proceeds benefit Fish & Loaves Community Food Pantry.
- 2017 Santa hours: 7-8:30 p.m. Nov. 12, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday Nov. 13-Dec. 23, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Christmas Eve. Note: Santa takes 30-minute breaks at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m. to feed his reindeer.
- Address: 17420 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-226-0330
Swing by to visit the jolly guy and share those holiday wish lists. Join him at the Cabin at the Creek within the mall. Dogs can have their photos taken with Santa, too, Dec. 1-8 (10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday).
- 2017 Santa hours: Nov. 18-Christmas Eve: Mondays-Fridays pick your pass time from 8 a.m.-mall close; Saturdays-Sundays wait in line for your turn during mall hours
- Address: 2800 W. Big Beaver Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-643-6360
Come welcome Santa at 9 a.m. on Nov. 18 with Scottish bagpipers and swag-bag giveaways complete with holiday craft kits and a gift card for hot chocolate. He will be there daily till Christmas Eve as part of a truly grand display complete with his icy castle. Note: Call the mall for closing times; may vary as the holiday draws near.
- 2017 Santa hours: 9 a.m.-noon. Saturdays Nov. 25, Dec. 2, 9 and 16
- Address: 16845 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe
- Phone: 313-886-7474
Santa is here to hear wishes four Saturdays in a row in “Santa’s Village.” Bring a camera to capture the moment. You can make holiday cards for children at St. John Hospital, too.
- 2017 Santa hours: 8-10 p.m. Nov. 17, 5-8 .m. Nov. 18, 3-6 p.m. Nov. 19, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Nov. 24, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Nov. 25, 1-5 p.m. Nov. 26, 4-8 p.m. Dec. 1, 1-8 p.m. Dec. 2, 1-5 p.m. Dec. 3, 3-8 p.m. Dec. 8, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Dec. 9, 1-5 p.m. Dec. 10, 5-8 p.m. Dec. 15, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Dec. 16, 1-5 p.m. Dec. 17, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Dec. 22, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Dec. 23, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 24
- Address: northeast corner of Walton and Adams roads, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-375-9451
Santa will make his Village of Rochester debut at the annual Village Tree Lighting, which is at 8 p.m. Nov. 17, where over 800,000 lights help families celebrate the holiday season. Kris Kringle then makes additional appearances throughout the season, including a special needs night on Nov. 18 and a pet night on Nov. 19. Free visit; take your own photos.
- 2017 Santa hours: all mall hours (see holiday mall hours) with breaks (entire visit runs Nov. 9-Dec. 23)
- Address: 27500 Novi Road, Novi (at the mall’s Center Court)
- Phone: 248-348-9400
Come by so your kids can share their wishes and you can snap a memorable pic. Also, this year, kids can join Santa’s Flight Academy. Falling snow and activities for the whole family round off the trip. Santa will also take photos with pets 8-9:40 a.m. on Dec. 2 and 8-10:40 a.m. on Dec. 3. He’s also offering sensory-friendly visits on Nov. 26 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. (reservations required).
- 2017 Santa hours: 6-8 p.m. Nov. 28
- Address: Waterford Township Hall, 5200 Civic Center Drive, Waterford
- Phone: 248-674-5441
Singalong carols and craft-making are all part of this fun and free event in Waterford. Of course you’ll want to make sure to visit with St. Nick! You can even see his reindeer.
- 2017 Santa hours: one hour after the mall is scheduled to open and one hour before the mall is scheduled to close, Nov. 11-Dec. 24 (see holiday mall hours). Note: closer to the holiday, Santa’s hours are all day while the mall is open.
- Address: 35000 W. Warren Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-425-5001
Don’t miss this special appearance from a man all the way from the North Pole, who will be visiting with kids in the East Court. Loads of photo package options available for purchase. Go online to reserve your spot ahead of time!
- 2017 Santa hours: 4-8 p.m. Wednesdays-Fridays, 2-8 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays Nov. 25-Christmas Eve. (Note: Dec. 24 hours are 10 a.m.-2 p.m.)
- Address: Lincoln Park Bandshell/Kennedy Memorial, 3240 Ferris Ave., Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-2833
- Cost: $1/admission, $3/digital photo, $5/two photos (free photos if you bring your own camera)
Lincoln Park’s annual Winter Fantasyland gives kids a chance to meet Mr. and Mrs. Claus when she’s got the time – plus enjoy more seasonal fun.
This post is updated regularly.