Gingerbread cookies are grand, but if you really want to take this holiday standard to a whole other level— and Insta impress your friends— consider making a batch of these babies. You’ll have to put in a little extra seasonal sweat to roll and cut the dough, plus make butter- cream icing to fill them, but boy oh ginger boy are they worth it!
Looking for other holiday cookie recipes? Check out our Season’s Eatings cookie roundup.
- Pace yourself. Make the dough ahead of time and freeze, then thaw out in the fridge 24 hours before you want to finish making your little men.
- Forget those messy pastry bags! Fill a plastic squeeze bottle with royal icing for kids to help create the gingerbread faces
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 t. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses; mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 batches, mix to combine.
- Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap; flatten into disks; refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on lightly-floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies and place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies until just crisp and browning on edges, 8-12 minutes, depending on size of the cookie.
- Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; transfer to cooling racks.
- Beat butter, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar in 2 batches; beat on low speed until incorporated.
- Add milk and beat until thick but spreadable; add more milk if necessary.
- Spread buttercream filling on one cookie; top with another.
- Make Royal Icing and use to decorate tops of each cookie.