Busy parents, this list is for you.
You know just how hectic those trips to the grocery store can be. Maybe it’s your toddler’s tendency to throw a tantrum in the checkout line, too many cookie aisle requests or the logistics of hauling a cart of groceries and a sleeping baby.
For other families, sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in the week to get the grocery shopping done between everything else going on.
Help your child head to the top of the class this year..
Ace it with your FREE School Success Guide
In these cases, a grocery delivery service might be the answer. Local parents are abuzz about Shipt, the delivery service from Meijer that launched in the Detroit area in September 2016. And other local and national companies offer grocery delivery, too. It’s a time-saver for families and a much-needed service for many senior citizens and people with mobility restrictions.
We compiled this list of grocery delivery services available in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties to help families take “grocery shopping” off their list of things to do. Be sure to research each company’s policies in advance and keep in mind that grocery items may be priced higher than in the store.
Do you use a grocery delivery service? How do you like it? Tell us in the comments.
- Contact: www.foodhome.com
- Service areas: Metro Detroit area, including all of Detroit. Find exact zip codes here.
- Delivery cost: $10-$15 added to your grocery total on any size order; no membership fees
- Delivery time: Orders can be placed seven days a week until midnight for delivery as soon as the next day.
Offers produce, frozen foods, butchered meats, deli counter items, beer, wine and more. Main supplier of groceries is Value Center Markets. Deliveries can be scheduled up to four weeks out.
- Contact: www.shipt.com/detroit
- Service areas: Metro Detroit area, including most of Macomb and Oakland counties. See map for exact coverage area.
- Delivery cost: Annual plan costs $99 per year; monthly plan costs $14 per month. Delivery fee is $7 per order or free for orders over $35.
- Delivery time: Orders can be placed 24 hours per day, seven days a week. Offers same-day delivery (as soon as one hour).
All grocery items are available with this service. Customers order using a mobile app and a local shopper gets the items and delivers them to the customer’s door. Ready-made lists like “pasta night” and “fried chicken meal” are also available on the app to make meal planning easier.
- Contact: 877-711-3636, www.doortodoororganics.com
- Service areas: Coverage areas in 15 states, including metro Detroit
- Delivery cost: $5 or free for orders of $75 or more
- Delivery time: Order once a week and customize your box until 10 p.m. the day before your delivery.
Door to Door Organics partners with local and out-of-state (depending on season) farmers to deliver certified-organic produce, dairy items, meats and more to its customers. Organic produce boxes are available in various sizes and are customizable based on your preferences.
- Contact: www.wolverinegrocery.com, 747-777-3663, email@example.com
- Service areas: Variety of zip codes in the Ann Arbor and surrounding areas, including Ypsilanti, Canton and Plymouth
- Delivery cost: $2.99 for deliveries under $100; delivery fee waived for orders over $100
- Delivery time: Same day or next day
This service is marketed to Ann Arbor area college students and anyone needing grocery delivery, including families and the elderly. Grocery items are from local stores including Sam’s Club, Whole Foods and Meijer.
- Contact: www.google.com/express
- Service areas: Nationwide
- Delivery cost: Free with orders meeting per-store minimums (usually $25-$35)
- Delivery time: Delivery options range from same-day to three days
Google Express lets customers shop popular retailers of all kinds including grocers like Costco and Whole Foods. Fresh produce and dairy are offered in certain areas but not currently available in Michigan.
- Contact: www.amazon.com
- Service areas: Nationwide
- Delivery cost: Free with five qualifying items; otherwise a $5.99 delivery fee is applied per box (box holds up to 45 pounds)
- Delivery time: All orders shipped using ground shipping; expedited shipping not available
Prime Pantry offers “everyday essentials” including soda, dry snacks, cereal and other grocery items. Note: AmazonFresh is offering grocery and fresh produce delivery in some areas, but is not currently available in southeast Michigan.
This post was originally published in 2016 and is updated regularly.