On sweltering summer days, sometimes a scoop (or two) can really hit the spot. So, if you are in need of a tasty treat, or something to just cool you off, head to one of these awesome independent ice cream shops nearby. With numerous ice cream parlors scattered around southeast Michigan, there’s bound to be a perfect flavor for you.
From old-fashioned ice cream and custard to liquid nitrogen ice cream and gelato, the options are endless! So have a scoop, a shake, or a freeze at one of these local ice cream shops in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
- Address: 46540 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-991-0106
- Hours: 2-9 p.m. daily
With about 75 flavors in-store – including Majestic Milky Way, Play Dough and Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownie – this shop offers a wide variety.
- Address: 300 W. Liberty St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-922-5383
- Hours: 2-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 2-11 p.m. Friday, noon-11 p.m. Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
One of the newer ice cream shops in town, this one has an abundance of flavors – including Raspberry Sorbet, Coffee and Blueberry Pancake.
- Address: 33314 Grand River Ave., Farmington
- Phone: 248-615-2955
- Hours: 1-9 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday, 4-10 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 4-11p.m. Thursday-Friday, 1 p.m.-midnight Saturday
- Address: 120 E. Main St., Northville
- Phone: 248-615-2955
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday- Saturday
Enjoy delectable frozen desserts with Michigan-made dairy, including small batches of ice cream with flavors that regularly change, handcrafted cookies, cheesecake, ice cream cakes, pints to-go and Michigan-made beverages.
- Address: 1020 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-8858
- Hours: store: 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; parlor: noon-8 p.m. daily
Try a real, fresh-from-the-farm experience. Made with milk from on-site cows, each batch is crafted by hand at Calder’s farm in Carleton and served here. Bloo Moo and Fudge Swirl are just two of its 36 flavors.
- Address: 20737 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Woods
- Phone: 313-881-2888
- Hours: summer: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday; fall: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m. -10 p.m. Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
With retro 1950s-style decor, this parlor serves French Alinosi ice cream in the sundae of your choice. Flavors include Butter Pecan, Maple Walnut, Chocolate Indulgence, Pumpkin and Cinnamon.
- Address: 3312 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-541-6560
- Hours: spring: 1-10 p.m. daily; summer: 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m. daily
With 60-plus flavors of yogurt and ice cream, the possibilities are rich when it comes to picking your cone, sundae, banana split, malt or shake.
- Address: 2950 Seymour Lake Road, Ortonville
- Phone: 248-627-3329
- Hours: off season: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-8 p.m. Sunday
Visit the last remaining dairy in Oakland County, where creamy choices like Cow Pie, Raspberry Chocolate Torte and Coconut Almond Fudge await you.
- Address: 75960 Brown Road, Romeo
- Phone: 586-752-6095
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. daily
Owners Greg and Dory Hill raise steroid- and growth hormone-free Holstein cows to produce creamy milk for 16 different delicious flavors of ice cream at this dairy farm – including Bear Claw, Muddy Cow Tracks and Butter Toffee Crunch.
- Address: 25947 W. Warren St., Dearborn Heights
- Phone: 313-278-5577
- Hours: 1-9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 1-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday
This local custard and ice cream shop has been a Dearborn Heights staple for years. Today, they are known for their famous hot waffle sandwich!
- Address: 21839 John R. Road, Hazel Park
- Phone: 248-632-1975
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 3-10 p.m. Sunday
This shop closed down a couple years ago, but thanks to two best friends, has reopened this past year. Find cotton candy, fried treats, Detroit pops and ice cream, including its specialty, Dumbo Delight.
- Address: 2660 Benstein Road, Walled Lake
- Phone: 248-624-4401
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
This shop has the largest selection of vegan soft serve in Oakland County, plus hand-dipped flavors and 54 other flavors for you to choose from. This award-winning place has other treats for you as well, like their “Big-Star” espresso coffee drink and crispy battered seasoned fries.
- Address: 1226 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-9111
- Hours: summer: noon-10:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
One of the staple ice cream shops, this one’s got a giant merry-go-round where kids can hang with their treats, which include a variety of flavors and the ever-popular “The Mud” – a mix of soft serve ice cream and your choice of candy.
- Address: 24806 Van Dyke Ave., Center Line
- Phone: 586-754-0480
- Hours: off season: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. daily; summer: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. daily
This ice cream and frozen yogurt parlor is well stocked with smoothies, malts and sundaes. With new yogurt flavors every week, the whole family’s sure to go home satisfied.
- Address: 232 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-5720
- Hours: summer: 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m. daily; fall: noon-9 p.m. daily
Whether you like your ice cream in a waffle cone, a flurry or just as soft serve in a cup, Dairy King’s menu has an array of options. From coffee milkshakes to Play-Doh flavored ice cream, Dairy King has something to please everyone’s taste buds.
- Address: Shelby Township: 6451 Auburn Road; St. Clair Shores: 28840 Harper Ave.; Warren: 2080 E. 14 Mile Road
- Phone: Shelby Township: 586-254-3080; St. Clair Shores: 586-200-3369 Warren: 586-275-2447 (flavor line numbers)
- Hours: 2-8 p.m. March (weather dependent), 11 a.m.-9 p.m. April 1-May 27, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Memorial Day-Labor Day, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sept. 4-Oct. 31
In 1942, it was a roadside stand. Now, Erma’s has three yummy ice cream shops. Beyond its traditional vanilla and chocolate, it offers unique flavors every week – such as Cherry Cheesecake, Monkey Business, Carmel Clusters and more.
- Address: 67 Main St., Belleville
- Phone: 734-699-7188
- Hours: early summer: noon-9:30 p.m. daily
Try mouthwatering toppings like Toasted Coconut, Oreo and Nutter Butter to specialize your cone exactly to your liking. On weekends, you can hang around the shop later than usual; they don’t close their doors until everyone is satisfied.
- Address: 37337 Huron River Drive, New Boston
- Phone: 734-753-9013
- Hours: 3-9 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday, closed Monday-Tuesday
The walls of this quirky downriver ice cream shop are covered with license plates, signs, photos and trinkets to keep your eyes just as entertained as your taste buds when you sample one of their cones, sundaes, malts or shakes.
- Address: 10 N. Washington St., Ypsilanti
- Phone: 734-219-7484
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. Monday-Sunday
Go! Ice Cream is a small Michigan-based company that produces tasty treats by using local ingredients. This ice cream is all natural, made with no preservatives or any other multi-syllabic ingredients. With delicious flavors, ranging from Three-Bean Vanilla to Ypsilanti Proud Peppercorn, everyone will find something to cure their sweet tooth.
- Address: 21300 Novi Road, Northville
- Phone: 248-349-1466
- Hours: restaurant: 10:30 a.m.- 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m-9 p.m. Sunday; store: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
Try this family-run ice cream shop’s one-of-a-kind, Michigan-made treats. (It’s tradition to enjoy your snack on the “famous rock under the tree” outside.) Pick from cones, shakes, banana splits, hot fudge sundaes, brownie fudge treats, hot fudge cream puffs and more.
- Address: 522 E. William St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-399-4844
- Hours: 11-10 p.m. daily
Savor some Italian ice cream in Tree Town with authentic artisan gelatos and “sorbettos.” Espresso drinks and Italian sodas, too.
- Address: 1528 E. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-399-7919
- Hours: spring: 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. daily; summer: 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. daily
Sundaes, smoothies, flurries and shakes are just some of the menu options at this superhero-themed spot, operating since 1970.
- Address: 23090 E. Main St., Armada
- Phone: 586-784-5425
- Hours: early summer: 12-8:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-9 p.m. Friday-Sunday; summer: noon-9 p.m. daily
This ice cream shop, established in 1985, offers gourmet dairy and non-dairy treats – plus low-fat, low-calorie iced coffee, real fruit smoothies, gelato, specialty yogurt ice cream and more.
- Address: 302 S. State St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-1700
- Hours: summer season: noon-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday; off-season: closes at 10 p.m.
Not only is it located on U of M’s campus, but it also supports the state by proudly serving Michigan products in shop – including candy, coffee and ice cream. It has 30 hand-dipped flavors.
- Address: Inside Bigbby Coffee, 31055 John R Road, Madison Heights
- Phone: 248-802-7353
- Hours: 2-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-10:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
This spot boasts being Michigan’s first nitrogen creamery – it uses liquid nitrogen to custom make your super creamy “nicecream” without extra preservatives and emulsifiers.
- Address: Eastern Market, 2461 Russell St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-393-6016
- Hours: early summer: noon-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday; summer: noon-8p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
Ice cream Detroit? Find it here. Serves Michigan-made Hudsonville ice cream and other local products – like Faygo and Better Made Potato Chips. This is the first ice cream parlor in Eastern Market since the district was founded in 1891.
- Address: 4233 Coolidge Highway (between 13 and 14 Mile roads), Royal Oak
- Phone: 888-549-5256
- Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday; winter hours vary
Family owned since 1958, Ray’s offers award-winning ice cream in over 40 different flavors, including Mackinac Island Fudge, Butter Pecan and its famous Fat Elvis.
- Address: 44666 Mound Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-254-1414
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
Founded in 2010, this establishment has tons of sweet treats on the menu and a flavor of ice cream and yogurt of the week.
- Address: 901 S. Main St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-0419
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily; closes in October
Cones, flurries, shakes and more: This soft-serve ice cream shop’s staple flavors join Flavor Burst ice cream and frozen yogurt in fun mocha cappuccino and even harvest apple varieties.
- Address: 3659 W. Maple Road, Bloomfield Hills
- Phone: 248-647-7660
- Hours: spring: noon-10 p.m. Monday-Sunday; summer: noon-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday; winter: noon-9 p.m. Monday-Sunday
Stroh’s has served Bloomfield Hills for more than 50 years with a wide range of tasty treats – including floats, shakes, ice cream cakes, pies and more. Get a single, double or triple scoop of ice cream, and add your own toppings.
- Address: 22965 Woodward Ave., Ferndale; Midtown: 4160 Cass Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 248-544-3440, 313-818-0084
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Sunday, noon-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Treat Dreams offers fun offbeat flavors like Hot Jalapeno, Mexican Chocolate and Kooky Monster. It also serves vegan ice cream and sorbet.
- Address: 22501 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-552-5038
- Hours: 6 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
In firehouse-inspired digs (complete with fire truck), Wally’s has perfected the classics. Try ice cream between two cookies, called a “Chocolate Cookie Monster” – plus banana splits, hot fudge cream puffs, strawberry shortcake and more.
- Address: 602 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-3244
- Hours: summer: 5 a.m.-10 p.m. daily; spring and fall: 5 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; winter: 5 a.m.-7 p.m. daily (closed Christmas Day)
Stocked with several Stroh’s ice cream flavors made in Michigan, it’s not surprising that Washtenaw Dairy has been serving the Ann Arbor area since 1934.
- Address: 3723 Plaza Drive, Suite 2, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-929-0500
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily
Find at least 10 single-serve gelato (Italian ice cream) flavors – more by the pint. Faves include Stone-Ground Sea Salt, Dark Chocolate, Lemon Sorbet and Coconut Macaroon – but they’re always whipping up something new. Cheese here, too.
This post is updated regularly.