Summer dreams ripped at the seams but oh those summer delights!
Summer has this incredible power of going by unbelievably fast but feeling unbelievably long and what’s on everyone’s mind is savoring the moments before life picks up where it left off.
With school fast approaching, and summer taking its leave, stress is at an all-time high for everyone involved — and what’s a more perfect remedy than over-the-top desserts?
These local eateries offer mind-blowing treats that will leave you in shock over presentation, taste and overall abundance. From milkshakes with whole cupcakes and Pop-Tarts sticking out the top from M Street Baking Company and Swedish Fish flavored ice from Detroit’s Water Ice to Ice Cream Sammies from Detroit Cookie Co. and massive cones from Treat Dreams, it has never been easier or tastier to take a moment to yourself and indulge in the little things.
- Address: 45 W. Grand River Ave, Detroit
- Phone: 313-694-9767
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday, 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 6:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Described by pastry chef Matt Knio as “almost too pretty to eat”, the St. Honorè is just that. Named for the French patron saint of bakers and pastry chefs, the St Honorè is a puff pastry cake that is decadent and light.
- Address: 23421 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Phone: 248-246-8060
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday
Enjoy your favorite ice cream flavors smooshed between two soft and decadent cookies. Plus, try unique cookie flavors including the “Big 3,” which feature Better Made potato chips, Michigan dried cherries and chocolate chips or the “Peanut Butter Volcano.”
- Address: 1014 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: 313-888-9106
- Hours: 1-8 p.m. Monday-Wednesday 1-9 p.m. Thursday-Friday, noon-9 p.m. Saturday and noon-8 p.m. Sunday
With unique flavors such as Swedish Fish, and PB & J, and Salted Margarita, there’s something for everyone.
- Address: 100 Erskine St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-788-7111
- Hours: 10 a.m.- 8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
This vibrant and luxurious ice cream has macaron shells mixed in for an Instagram-worthy experience. As tasty as it is aesthetically pleasing, you’ll be on the edge of your seat for what flavors they come up with next.
- Address: 681 E. 8 Mile Road, Ferndale
- Phone: 248-336-2253
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday
This marbled cheesecake is nostalgic and fun. With its red, blue, and yellow swirls that mimic the beloved Superman ice cream, you’ll be as transfixed by the taste as you are with the design.
- Address: 1210 Lawndale St. Detroit
- Phone: 313-724-6074
- Hours: Call for details
This combination of strawberries, coconut, pecans, granola, and cream is the Starbucks Pink Drink’s edible counterpart. Equal parts pretty and delicious, this treat isn’t something you should miss.
- Address: 117 N. Michigan Ave, Howell
- Phone: 517-376-6797
- Hours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, closed Monday-Wednesday
These mind-blowing milkshakes come in a variety of flavors such as Oreo Party, Fruity Pebble, S’mores, and more. With toasted marshmallows, Pop-Tarts, cotton candy and Oreos sticking out the top, you really are getting the full flavor experience.
- Address: 2237 18 Mile Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-991-5380
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday
Small-batch, fresh, handcrafted desserts and pasties is the name of the game at this shop. They offer liquid nitrogen ice cream, dessert pizza and waffle pops. Plus tea, baklava, and even gluten-free options.
- Address: 920 N. Main Street, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734 913 2025
- Hours: Curbside: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday-Saturday; deliver: 2-4 p.m. Friday-Saturday. Orders close 9 a.m. on Thursday each week.
This elegant, flower-dressed cake is enough to make anyone feel like a princess. With a delicate painted texture, this cake is an indulgence towards the finer things in life.
- Address: 25947 W. Warren St., Dearborn Heights
- Phone: 313 278 5577
- Hours: 3-9 p.m. daily
This blueberry waffle is sandwiched with blue moon and cherry custard. It’s then filled with fruity pebbles for some extra crunch. Who said colorful cereal was just for kids?
- Address: 22965 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Phone: 248-544-3440
- Hours: Noon-8:30 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, noon-9:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Enjoy a scoop, or two, or three of delicious ice cream piled high on a cone. Choose from toppings such as Oreos or cake crumbles — and don’t forget to taste their ice cream sandwiches, too.
- Address: 3711 Plaza Drive, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-761-2095
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. daily
Two layers of fluffy vanilla chiffon cake and strawberry ice cream surround a generous coating of lemon curd. The whole cake is covered with a light layer of strawberry buttercream and a white chocolate lemon mirror glaze for the perfect summer delight.
Do you know of any crazy over-the-top desserts in metro Detroit or Ann Arbor? Share them with us in the comments.