As parents of twins, Kelly and George Melistas were concerned about household safety, including electrical outlets. But the Northville couple found that most products they tried for baby-proofing were just baby-resistant – and some came with the added concerns of being potential choking hazards.
“Eventually, kids figure everything out,” Kelly Melistas says. “By 18 months, our twins were popping (the outlet covers) out. One friend’s son was pulling them out with his teeth. I scoured Toys R Us and other stores and told my husband we have to come up with something better.”
What they came up with is Child Be Safe – hard covers that use a three-button system for parents to access the switches and outlets when needed. They can be installed using regular mounting screws. “I’m not the handiest person and wanted something moms could buy and install in 30 seconds,” Melistas says.
In addition to keeping kids safe, the covers are energy savers, as they eliminate the ability to play with electronics on switches such as lights, garbage disposals or fireplaces.
The Michigan-made products were officially introduced at the Tummy to Toddler Expo in April and are now available on the company’s website.
“Our goal is to help the community. I don’t have to worry about my own kids, or my friends coming over with their kids – it’s peace of mind that I’m so happy we can give to other parents.”
Child Be Safe outlet and switch covers are available for $8.99 each at childbesafe.com.