The chilly season has swooped in, and it’s time to dig out the ice skates from the back of the closet.
Whether you and your kiddies are beginners or you’ve perfected the Biellmann spin, metro Detroit has plenty of icy locations, both indoors and outdoors, where locals can test their skills.
But no need to sleuth – we’ve got you covered! Check out this list of local ice rinks in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
All hours listed are for open skating; check the rink websites for the latest on open skate schedules, ice skating lessons and drop-in hockey leagues.
- Address: 2121 Oak Valley Drive, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-213-1600
- 2018-19 hours: typically 6 a.m.-7:50 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.-11:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, noon-1:20 p.m. and 3 p.m.-4:20 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m.-2:20 p.m. Sunday; check ahead
- Costs: $4/adults, $3/ages 12 and under, $3/skate rental
Visit the Cube and practice your skate moves. From broomball and figure skating competitions to daily open skate slots, there’s excitement to be had by all. Warm up post-play with a hot beverage from Cube Cafe.
- Address: 501 Coliseum Drive, Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-4444
- 2018-19 hours: consult the website for the latest
- Costs: $3/kids and adults, $2/skate rental Mondays-Fridays; $5/adult, $3/ages 11 and under, $3/skate rental Saturdays-Sundays; $8/skater for DJ skate
Skate on one of two rinks, then get toasty in the Arctic Breakaway restaurant on the second floor. Check the website for a complete schedule of beginner classes, drop-in hockey, figure skating and special events. On Saturday nights, glide under laser lights for DJ Skate.
- Address: 46615 Michigan Ave., Canton
- Phone: 734-487-7777
- 2018-19 hours: 7-8:50 p.m. Friday; 1 p.m.-2:50 p.m. and 8 p.m.-9:50 p.m. Saturday, 4 p.m.-5:50 p.m. Sunday
- Costs: $7/adult, $5/ages 14 and under, free/age 3 and younger, $3/skate rental
Featuring two NHL-size rinks, this arena has served Olympians and newbies alike. Learn to skate here or drop-in for one of the adult hockey leagues.
- Address: 2751 Packard Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-794-6234
- 2018-19 hours: 7:45 p.m.-8:45 p.m. Tuesday (half-price admission), 4:45 p.m.-5:45 p.m. (half-price) and 7:15 p.m.-8:45 p.m. Wednesday, 7:15 p.m.-8:45 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.-8:45 p.m. Saturday, 3:15 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Sunday
- Costs: $5-$6/adult, $4-$5/ages 17 and under, $3/skate rental
This rink has a cool subfloor that keeps the ice solid even when it’s warmer than 50 degrees. Swing by for open skating and drop-in hockey. Blade sharpening available.
- Address: 2300 E. Lincoln St., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-530-1642
- 2018-19 hours: consult the website for open skate dates and times
- Costs: $5.50/adult, $4.50/ages 17 and under, $3/skate rental
Want to learn how to ice skate? This arena offers a host of opportunities, including hockey, open skating, figure skating and freestyle lessons. Check out extended holiday hours when the kids get a break from school.
- Address: 14900 Ford Road, Dearborn
- Phone: 313-943-4098
- 2018-19 hours: typically 11 a.m.-12:50 p.m. Monday-Friday, times vary on the weekend; occasionally closed for hockey tournaments, consult the website for the latest
- skating: $6-$7/adult, $3/ages 5 and under, $3/skate rental
Take a break from your hectic day and spend some time on the ice. Looking to better your footwork and form? Learn-to-skate lessons are available, and the Dearborn Figure Skating Club considers this arena home. Learn-to-play hockey classes and adult leagues available, too.
- Address: 888 Denison Court, Bloomfield Hills
- Phone: 248-332-3000, ext. 111
- 2018-19 hours: 12:30 p.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays
- Cost: $5/person, $5/skate rental
Lace up with the Detroit Skating Club. It has one of the largest USA Hockey Programs in the state. Already smooth on the ice? DSC works with skaters from the recreational to the Olympic level in programs including freestyle and ice dancing.
- Address: 40620 Utica Road, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-446-2700
- 2018-19 hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Sundays
- Cost: free/residents, $5/non-residents, $3/skate rental
This open-air rink is conveniently located in the beautiful Dodge Park. Your family can spin and twirl their winter days away and enjoy some of the other offerings, too.
- Address: 33841 Lyndon St., Livonia
- Phone: 734-422-5172
- 2018-19 hours: typically 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays, 5 p.m.-6:20 p.m. Fridays, 2 p.m.-3:20 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays
- Cost: $5.25-$7.25/adult, $4.75-$6.25/ages 17 and under, $3.25/skate rental
Home to the Livonia Hockey Association, you needn’t be an ice shaking champ to take advantage of open skating with the family, adult hockey leagues, tournaments and figure skating.
- Address: 35500 W. Eight Mile Road, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-478-8800
- 2018-19 hours: Consult the website for monthly schedules
- Cost: $3.50/residents, $5/nonresidents, $2/mid-day skate, $2.50/skate rental
Home to the Farmington Hills Figure Skating Club and Farmington Hills Hockey Association, all ages can find programs that cater to their needs. Try your feet at power skating, adult and youth hockey, figure skating, or learn-to-skate sessions.
- Address: 200 Log Cabin Road, Garden City
- Phone: 734-793-1882
- 2018-19 hours: noon-1 p.m. Saturday, noon-1:30 p.m. Sunday
- Costs: $5/adult, $4/ages 15 and under, $2.50/skate rental
Get together and skate with the family on Sunday afternoons. During the week, find drop-in hockey, freestyle figure skating practice, and sticks & pucks 5-6:30 p.m. on Fridays.
- Address: 1403 Lexington Blvd., Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-246-3950
- 2018-19 hours: Consult the website for a weekly schedule
- Cost: $5/ages 6-plus, $3/ages 5 and under, $3/skate rental
This popular rink hosts hockey leagues, figure skating competitions, pre-school skate times, and, of course, open and adult skating sessions. Check the website for details.
- Address: 3101 West Road, Trenton
- Phone: 734-676-7172
- 2018-19 hours: noon-2:40 p.m. Monday-Friday, varies on weekends; call their number for the latest
- Cost: $5-$6/adult, $4-$5/ages 5-12, free/ages 5 and under, $3/skate rental
Three NHL-sized ice arenas give skaters plenty of options to get out on the ice, including drop-in hockey for adults and sticks & pucks for youth. Home to four area high school teams.
- Address: 7330 Highland Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-666-1911
- 2018-19 hours: 3:15 p.m.-4:45 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays
- Costs: $4/skater, $3/skate rental
Head out to this Waterford ice arena for open skate on weekends.
- Address: 31300 Metropolitan Parkway, Harrison Township
- Phone: 586-463-4581
- 2018-19 hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, weather and ice conditions permitting
- Costs: free/skating; $10/daily pass or $35/annual pass to enter the park
Skate, spin, or play hockey at your leisure on Lake St. Clair. Picnic tables and a nearby warming station make for apt places to rest. Ice skating rink is located in the west playfield.
- Address: 40151 E. Huron River Drive, Belleville
- Phone: 734-697-9181
- 2018-19 hours: 10 a.m.-dusk, weather and ice conditions permitting
- Cost: free/skating; entrance into the park is $10/daily pass or $35/annual pass
Nestled in the snowcapped woods, get some quality skating time in on one of two frozen ponds. Hockey enthusiasts can practice their shots while those who freestyle perfect their glides and spins.
- Address: 200 N. Groesbeck Highway, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-307-8202
- 2018-19 hours: Noon-12:50 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 2 p.m.-3:50 p.m. and 7 p.m.-8:50 p.m. Saturday (September-May), 2 p.m.-3:50 p.m. Sunday; check ahead for DJ Skate nights on Friday evenings
- Costs: $4.50-$5/skater, $7/DJ skate, $3/noon skate, $3/skate rental, $2/noon skate rental
Enjoy open skate or get funky for DJ nights on Saturdays at this Macomb County arena. Don’t miss themed and special open skate shindigs for Thanksgiving, Christmas (when you can skate with Santa!) and other holiday breaks.
- Address: 42400 Nick Lidstrom Drive, Novi
- Phone: 248-347-1010
- 2018-19 hours: typically noon-1:50 p.m. weekdays; 3 p.m.-4:50 p.m., 3 p.m.-4:50 p.m. Sunday, Saturdays; consult the website for the latest
- Cost: $3/noon skate, $5/public and holiday skate, $3/skate rental
With plenty of lessons offered at this ice arena, you’ll be an avid skater in no time. Two cafes and a pro shop are on site to meet all your skating and tasty-beverage needs. Birthday packages are available, too.
- Address: 13950 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park
- Phone: 248-542-6557
- 2018-19 hours: drop in hockey; noon-1:20 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays
- Cost: $10/person
Featuring drop-in hockey, leagues, youth teams and tournaments, this arena’s an ideal spot to try your skill at competition. Stop in the pro shop, and refuel in the dining room or concession area. Note: Skate rentals are not available; bring your own skates.
- Address: 3100 E. Clarkston Road, Oakland
- Phone: 248-651-7810; call the hotline (248-651-4440 ext. 289) to confirm ice rink is open
- 2018-19 hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, typically December-March, weather and ice conditions permitting
- Cost: Free
Step onto this outdoor ice rink for a day of freebie fun at Marsh View Park. An onsite picnic area makes it easy to rest and grub.
- Address: 52999 Dequindre Road, Rochester
- Phone: 248-601-6699
- 2018-19 hours: typically noon-1:50 p.m. Monday-Friday; times vary on the weekend, consult the website for the latest
- Costs: $6/skater, $5/ages 12 and under, $2/skate rental
The Rochester Hockey Club, plus hockey teams from local Stoney Creek High School and Oakland University, all call this arena home. Every other Friday, drop in for Rock the Onyx (8:15-10:05 p.m.) for open skate with cosmic lights and hot tunes ($10/skater including skate rental). Practice your mastery of the ice with synchronized skating programs for figure skaters or learn-to-skate classes for beginners. Hockey clinics and special events, too.
- Address: 26000 Evergreen Road, Southfield
- Phone: 248-796-4640
- 2018-19 hours: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 5-6:30 p.m. Saturday, 5:30-7 p.m. Sunday; evening hours may vary due to hockey tournaments, call ahead to verify
- Costs: $3/day skate, $4-$5/evening skate, $2.50/skate rental
Shed those holiday sweets and treats by getting out of the house and hitting the ice rink. Improve your legwork with drop-in hockey and ice-skating lessons.
- Address: 20000 Stephens St., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-445-5350
- 2018-19 hours: 3 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays (September-May) and 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays (June-August); consult website for other programs and times
- Cost: $3/skater, free/ages 6 and under when accompanied by a paying adult, $5/skate rental (no skate rental June-August)
Bond with your little ones by attending Parent & Tot and Pucks & Parents skate sessions (check online for dates and times). Once you’ve tucked the munchkins in, return for adult skate – a fun date night.
- Address: 4300 Main Park Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-781-4242
- 2018-19 hours: dawn-dusk daily, weather and ice conditions permitting
- Cost: free/skating; entrance into the park is $10/daily pass or $35/annual pass
This scenic metropark makes for a winter wonderland once the snow settles. A smooth rink is maintained near the boat launch, and designated areas cater to ice hockey players. Defrost in the onsite warming room, furnished with vending machines and restrooms. Make sure to bring your own skates.
- Address: 23996 Freeway Park Drive, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-888-1400
- 2018-19 hours: Hours vary; check website in advance for schedule
- Costs: $2/skater, $2/skate rental
Suburban Ice offers learn-to-skate programs, sticks & pucks, adult drop-in hockey, private lessons and birthday party options.
- Address: 54755 Broughton Road, Macomb Township
- Phone: 586-992-8600
- 2018-19 hours: Consult the website for the latest
- Cost: $5/weekday skate (all ages), $2/weekday skate rental, $6/weekend skate, $3/weekend skate rental, $10/SK8 Jamz (includes skate rental)
This icy spot hosts noon open skate, hockey clinics, learn-to-skate programs for kids ages 3-plus and SK8 Jamz for families looking to grove and glide under cosmic lights.
- Address: 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-963-9393
- 2018-19 hours: Open mid-November through March; hours vary, call ahead
- Cost: $10/adults, $8/ages 12 and under; $5/skate rental
Campus Martius, a gem situated in the heart of downtown Detroit, hosts spectacular outdoor activities and gigs year-round, but the highlights are the holidays. Ice skate day or night under a 60-foot decked-out Christmas tree at The Rink. Peruse downtown’s holiday lights and stop into one of the corner coffee shops for a hot beverage. Don’t forget to swing by on Nov. 17 for the tree lighting ceremony.
- Address: 2150 Jackson Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-794-6235
- 2018-19 hours: 1:20-2:45 p.m. Tuesday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Cost: $5-$6/adult, $4-$5/ages 14 and under, $3/skate rental
Known as one of Ann Arbor’s most popular recreational facilities, the ice arena offers instructional skating, hockey programs, patch and freestyle skating. Find onsite lockers for your gear and a pro shop to sharpen your blades. Check the website for holiday hours.
- Address: 1116 S. State St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-764-4600
- 2018-19 hours: 1 p.m.-2:40 p.m. Sundays, noon-1 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays and Fridays, noon-1 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.-10 p.m. Thursdays (Note: Closed during home University of Michigan football games)
- Cost: $6/adult, $4/kids and students, $3/noon skate, $3/skate rental, $2/noon skate rental
Shared by the University of Michigan hockey team and located on the U-M Athletic Campus, indulge in open skate times, figure skating and hockey lessons, as well as youth and adult hockey programs.
Photo of The Rink at Campus Martius Park from Downtown Detroit Partnership’s Facebook page
This post is updated regularly.