Are you concerned with the rise of bullying and what you can help your child do about it? Unfortunately, it has become more common recently.
“Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 students in the United States report being bullied at school, according to the National Center for Education Statistics and Bureau of Justice Statistics,” says Psychology Today.
It is important for parents to talk to their children about what to do in situations like this and how to handle them. Although Michigan has laws against bullying, it still happens.
Concerned parents are wondering what they should tell their kids to say or do in those types of situations. Self-defense classes are a good way to give your children the confidence they need to handle themselves.
Check out the list below for self-defense classes for kids in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.
- Address: 2219 Cole St., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-646-6608
- Hours: 4-8:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, 9-11:45 a.m. Saturday. Private sessions available Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
- Cost: Contact for details
Classes for kids include Tae Kwon Do (ages 6-plus) and Power Rangers (ages 4-5) as well as adults. Will focus on self-esteem, respect, fitness, focus and discipline. While the studio is open, it also currently offers online classes due to the pandemic.
- Address: 33801 32 Mile Road, Richmond
- Phone: 586-727-3381
- Hours: 1-8 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 1-9 p.m. Thursday, 1-7 p.m. Friday, and 9-11:30 a.m. Saturday
Kids 4-12 years old will develop confidence and the ability to defend themselves. Classes will also focus on good manners, listening skills and self-discipline.
- Address: 52900 Garfield Road, Macomb Township
- Phone: 586-416-3656
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 4-7 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday
Lil Dragons is for kids Pre-K through second grade and the youth karate program is for ages 7-14.
- Address: 32588 Warren Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-338-8050
- Hours: 5:30-8 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Friday; 9-10:45 a.m. Saturday
This family friendly Tae Kwon Do school offers classes individually (as young as 4 years old) or together with parents and/or siblings. Offers family rates.
- Address: 13030 W. Seven Mile Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-416-7000
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and noon-3 p.m. Saturday
Offers instruction for kids as young as 3 as well as adult classes. Has classes for teens with autism and ADHD, an after-school program, private lessons and camps.
- Address: 45575 Mound Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-939-1111
- Hours: Noon-8 p.m. Monday- Friday, Saturday by appointment
Children class are ages 3 1/2-11 years old and teen/adult classes ages 12 and older. Preschool kids will learn basic skills such as perseverance, self-control, high-goal setting, positive mental attitude and confidence.
- Address: 24105 Orchard Lake Road, Farmington
- Phone: 248-474-0700
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday, noon-7 p.m. Tuesday, 2-8 p.m. Wednesday, noon-8 p.m. Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m. Saturday
Your son or daughter will have fun, while learning important skills like self-defense, character development, discipline, focus, respect and more.
- Address: 950 W. Maple Road, Suite D, Troy
- Phone: 248-688-9501
- Hours: 9 a.m.-midnight Monday, 5-9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 6-9 p.m. Wednesday, closed Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday
Young Warriors is intended for kids 6-11 where they will learn leadership, team building and confidence. Kids will learn how to defend themselves from bullies and conflict resolution skills. They’ll improve their strength and athleticism, too. Their classes are perfect for students of all ages and experience levels.
- Address: 50786 Romeo Plank Road, Macomb
- Phone: 586-226-0508
- Hours: 5-10 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday
Offers karate for kids 4-plus. Has a fun and engaging curriculum for your child and will teach him/her effective ways to stand up for themselves. Will also improve listening skills, self-discipline and building confidence.
- Address: 48796 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-838-1466
- Hours: 6 a.m.-noon, Monday and Wednesday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., 4:15-9:20 p.m. Tuesday, 11 am.-1 p.m., 4:15-0 Thursday, 6 a.m.-noon, 5:15-119 p.m. Friday, 8:45-11:30 a.m. Saturday, 12:30-2 p.m. Sunday
Kids can take Jiu Jitsu or Krav Maga classes for kids 7-14. They will learn courage, knowledge and discipline. First class is free.
- Address: 48075 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-801-9991
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday and 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Saturday
Kids’ Kudo/Karate classes start at age 4. Kids’ karate classes are for ages 4-10. Family karate classes are for students 10-plus. Offerings also include boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, TRX Suspension Training and MMA.
- Allen Park: 6848 Allen Road; 313-928-0302
- Ann Arbor: 2841 Plymouth Road; 734-780-7176
- Bloomfield: 165 E. Square Lake Road; 248-444-4836
- Brighton: 9901 Weber; 734-301-0064
- Clarkston: 7137 Dixie Highway; 248-895-2619
- Davison: 219 Main St.; 810-653-9984
- Dearborn: 23946 Michigan Ave.; 313-673-3506
- Detroit: 3627C Cass Ave.; 313-757-2749
- Flat Rock: 27383 Telegraph Road; 734-931-0199
- Garden City: 6315 Middlebelt Road; 734-522-7718
- Livonia: 18766 Middlebelt Road; 248-987-4622
- Macomb Township: 415795 Hall Road; 586-843-3924
- Northville: 15081 Northville Road; 734-392-7575
- Novi: 40500 Grand River; 248-987-6112
- Oxford: 925 N. Lapeer Road, Suite 244; 248-236-0340
- Rochester Hills: 910 S. Rochester Road; 248-326-4743
- Royal Oak: 4304 S. Rochester Road; 248-295-4110
- St. Clair Shores: 31380 Harper Ave.; 586-871-5751
- Hours: Vary by location
Classes begin for kids at the preschool age. The programs teach fine and gross motor skills, listening positions, life skills, discipline, more.
- Address: 3289 Rochester Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-687-8641
- Hours: Contact for information
It currently is offering virtual kids classes. Its goal is to live by the Black Belt lifestyle and help kids to be stronger physically, mentally, socially and emotionally. Classes start at age 3.
- Address: 44948 Ford Road, Canton
- Phone: 734-459-4000
- Hours: 4:45-6:55 pm. Monday-Thursday, 4:45-7 p.m. Friday, 11:45 a.m.-2:50 p.m. Saturday
Little Rhinos is for preschoolers ages 3-5 and basic classes for kids ages 5-12 and for teens 13-17.
- Address: 28927 Woodward Ave., Berkley; 248-542-5630; 511 N. Main St., Rochester; 248-501-5600
- Hours: Varies by location
Measures their students not only by rank, but also by how their lives have improved. Reduce stress, increase concentration and raise confidence in their students. Junior Wushu starts at age 6.
- Address: 21617 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-779-5425
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday and 9-11:30 a.m. Sunday
Offers traditional martial arts for ages 3 and up, Krav Maga for ages 13 and up and Kickboxing for ages 13 and up. Also has mixed-ages classes for families who want to train together. It also is offering virtual classes.
- Address: 206 S. Main, Romeo
- Phone: 586-752-7000
- Hours: 5-8:15 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 4:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday and 9-11 a.m. Saturday
Offers Lions, Tigers & Bears karate classes for young children ages 4-8. Boys and girls will learn physical and character skills such as agility, balance, teamwork, confidence and much more.
- Address: 1881 W. South Blvd., Troy
- Phone: 248-828-4360
- Hours: 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Saturday
Offers unlimited classes six days a week in Taekwondo, Karate, Self Defense and Cardio Exercise. Teaches self-confidence, leadership, self control, respect, perseverance and courtesy.
- Address: 6363 Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 248-706-0000
- Hours: Contact for details
Students learn the importance of respect and perseverance, along with self-discipline and self-defense, all while developing confidence. Find karate, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, Tai Chi and more for kids, teens and adults. Krav Maga, too. Some virtual classes offered.
- Address: 40821 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-800-4463
- Hours: 4:45-8 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 3:30-8 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday-Friday
Helps your child build rock solid confidence and laser sharp focus. Trainings will teach self-respect and respect of others.
This post was originally published in 2020 and is updated regularly.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.