Tutoring centers for kids are a great way to help young students reach their full potential academically. Whether your child needs to better prepared for standardized tests, requires a little extra help in a particular subject, or simply wants to work with more challenging material than what they’re seeing in the classroom, tutors can help.
Not sure where to start when it comes to finding the right assistance? Look no further. Here are some great tutoring centers for kids in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
- Address: based in Ypsilanti
- Phone: 734-635-2195
- Teaches: Spanish, language arts, math, science, art, music, drama, social studies, study skills, test prep for grades 1-9
Mariana Risquez is the teacher and artist behind this Washtenaw County tutoring business. Risquez has extensive experience in study habits for grades 1-9 and aims to help her students accomplish their goals by building her lessons around each student’s individual personality.
- Locations: Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, Canton/Plymouth/Belleville, Farmington/Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, Troy/Rochester Hills/Utica
- Phone: 248-887-8888
- Teaches: Math, English and science to students in kindergarten through high school; also SAT, ACT preparation
An instructor breaks down the basics of math, science and English to small groups of students through educational contests and prizes at the in-center sessions, while kids that opt for the online tutoring get the help that they need in the comfort of their own home.
- Address: 18901 15 Mile Road, Suite 200, Clinton Township
- Phone: 800-297-2119
- Teaches: Offers tutoring in all subjects for all ages, virtual schooling, vocational training, adult education
This program is perfect for students who have struggled with grades or behavioral issues in the past with online options through Clintondale Virtual Schools or the Step Up Program – which aim to help students finish their high school educations, vocational and job skill courses through My Alternative Ed and online schooling options through My Virtual Academy. Find tutoring for all ages here, too.
- Location: based in Redford
- Phone: 248-242-7733
- Teaches: Math, reading, writing, science, test preparation
Kids in upper elementary, high school and college can receive online tutoring through Brainiac In-Home Tutoring. Professional tutors offer individualized attention to each student, in addition to test preparation services for college entrance and ESL tests. Tutors are available during the week and on weekends.
- Macomb Township: 48894 Hayes Road
- Shelby Township: 55137 Shelby Road
- Phone: 586-286-7323
- Teaches: Phonics, reading, spelling, grammar, writing, math, foreign languages, for K-12 and college students
This award-winning option among local tutoring centers for kids is run by a college professor, administered by local certified teachers – and takes the needs of each child into consideration so that they get the most out of each session.
- Birmingham: 33483 Woodward Ave., 248-430-3060
- Plymouth: 15374 N. Haggerty Road, 734-548-8740
- Saline: 1315 E. Michigan Ave., 734-316-8651
- Teaches: One-to-one instruction for grades 3-12 students in math, English, science, social studies; test preparation
Since 1999, this spot has used a personalized approach to help students with learning difficulties, or those seeking more challenging work, by setting up one teacher with one student per session. It takes a child’s needs, interests and learning style into account for each lesson. As a private school, it also offer courses for kids in grades 6-12 for credit, too.
- Bingham Farms: 30300 Telegraph Road, Suite 230; 248-690-6284
- Detroit: 1570 Woodward Ave.; 313-908-6284
- Teaches: K-12 education in math, science, technology, with a focus on foundational skills and fun
Kids that are bored or confused by math and technology find a different way of learning these subjects at Circuit Learning. Every lesson here is personalized to the needs of each child and is taught by passionate teachers through games and real-life scenarios that focus on the basics.
- Address: based in Mount Clemens
- Phone: 313-320-1419
- Teaches: English/ESL Tutoring (online), resume/cover letter assistance, editing services, job readiness workshops, more
Darrell Hall started this tutoring service in 2014 and has helped over 500 families in metro Detroit. Communication 101 helps both students and parents with various services.
- Address: 5891 W. Michigan Ave., Ypsilanti
- Phone: 734-714-8256
- Teaches: Reading, writing, spelling, science, social studies and math for preschool-aged kids to adults; plus test preparation
For more than 40 years, this established tutoring service in Ypsilanti has helped students of all skill levels hone in on math, reading, science and other academic skills with one-on-one instruction and school-based programming. It even offers lessons for kids and grown-ups with attention deficit disorders, auditory processing difficulties, dyslexia, autism and other physical, mental and emotional difficulties.
- Address: Harvard Square Shopping Center, 6000 N. Sheldon Road, Canton
- Phone: 734-446-7007
- Teaches: Kids in grades K-12 in reading, writing, study skills, phonics, vocabulary, test preparation, language arts, sciences, math up to calculus
Each program at the Canton branch of this national group of tutoring centers for kids is taught by college-educated and in-house trained tutors that personalize a program that aims to strengthen each student’s skills in various subjects, whether they need help with understanding the fundamentals, improving their homework habits, or have difficulties learning because of ADHD.
- Address: 120 E. University Drive, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-656-8333
- Teaches: K-12 instruction in reading, phonics, writing, math, study skills, vocabulary, test preparation
The Rochester branch of this national tutoring franchise starts each child off with a full academic evaluation to find the need of each student. From there, they develop a personalized learning program, which are taught by certified teachers.
In-Home Tutors-Metro Detroit
- Address: In-home tutoring serving Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties
- Phone: 248-630-3080
- Teaches: Tutoring in all subjects for students of all ages, test preparation
Qualified and experienced tutors that work for this franchise-based tutoring company visit homes in the metro Detroit area to work one-on-one with kids in all subjects including math, chemistry, music, physics, foreign languages and more. They also have tutors that are equipped to work with students that have learning disabilities and those students that need ACT/SAT, GED and adult education prep.
- Address: 19189 15 Mile Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-649-2323
- Teaches: Programs for kindergarten through grade 12 students in reading, English, math, science and writing; test prep also offered
This spot offers an online software-based program so that your child can work from home while getting help from professionals, along with a brick-and-mortar center at which you can receive an in-person and individualized plan. Online tutors are certified teachers who call twice a week to keep you up-to-date on their progress.
- Address: 35-plus locations in metro Detroit
- Phone: 800-ABC-MATH (800-222-6284)
- Teaches: Math and reading from preschool through high school
Millions of kids have benefited from this after-school math and reading program, which boasts being the world’s largest program of its kind. It starts early with colorful worksheets that introduce kids to math and reading early, and then helps them to move up from there with skills that help them succeed both in and outside the classroom.
- Address: 25611 Coolidge Highway, Oak Park
- Phone: 248-545-6677
- Teaches: All subjects for pre-K-12, adult education
This spot offers one-on-one or small group instruction of all subjects by staff that hold master’s or doctorate level degrees and years of teaching experience in their respective subjects; plus study and note-taking skills, test prep and programs for those with learning disabilities, attention disorders, emotional or cognitive impairments, speech disorders and others.
- Address: 43599 Schoenherr Road, Suite 200-B, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-242-4616
- Teaches: K-12 students comprehension, writing, math, spelling, the French language, homework help, test preparation
Owner of Macomb Tutoring, Debora Omari, is a highly trained specialist in the Orton-Gillingham method of multisensory reading and spelling instruction, and has been proving herself as a successful tutor since 1996. Her tutoring program teaches reading and spelling, along with individualized programs in math, organizational skills, French, test prep and more.
- Locations: Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Canton, Dexter, Grosse Pointe Woods, Macomb Township, Northville, Novi, Milford, Rochester Hills, Shelby Township, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 877-601-MATH (6284)
- Teaches: Math to children in preschool through high school
This franchise of tutoring centers for kids works under the philosophy that kids don’t hate math – they hate being confused and intimidated by it. So this spot creates individualized lesson plans for each student in order to teach math in a way that makes sense to them.
- Address: 7664 N. Canton Center Road, Canton
- Phone: 734-414-7884
- Teaches: Programs in language arts, math, reading, test preparation, study skills, social skills, specialized assistance
All of the tutors at this state-approved center hold advanced degrees in their specific areas of studies, which include math, reading and language arts, and tutor each student one-on-one. In addition, they offer sessions for students with emotional, physical and cognitive impairments, learning disabilities and attention disorders; plus gifted students and adults.
- Address: 29551 Greenfield Road, Suite 112, Southfield
- Phone: 248-496-0150
- Teaches: SAT and ACT prep, reading, math, writing
Optiminds customizes a program and brain training techniques for each student it assists with ACT and SAT test preparation, time management skills, speed reading and math skills. Students of all ages welcome.
- Address: based in metro Detroit
- Phone: 248-941-5275
- Teaches: SAT and ACT prep, math, physics, biology, chemistry, English, more
Premier Tutors has helped students in elementary school all the way to high school seniors, preparing for college. Offers one-on-one and small group tutoring and can meet in the student’s home or anywhere they feel comfortable.
Reading & Language Arts Centers
- Locations: Ann Arbor, Bloomfield Hills, Brighton, Clarkston, Grosse Pointe, Lake Orion, Plymouth, Shelby Township, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 800-732-3211
- Teaches: Programs in phonics, reading comprehension, writing, math, test preparation
The Phonics First program at this tutoring center offers a unique approach to helping kids with their reading skills by incorporating visual, auditory and tactile features to help them get a better grip on the language.
- Ann Arbor: 1601 Briarwood Circle, Suite 300; 734-249-6595
- Bloomfield: 42717 Woodward Ave., Suite B; 248-326-6034
- Brighton: 10407 Grand River Road, Suite 800; 810-355-4015
- Canton: 7752 N. Canton Center Road; 734-335-1066
- Clinton Township: 42627 Garfield Road, Suite 211; 586-741-8706
- Dearborn: 2040 Monroe St., Suite 202; 313-558-8900
- Livonia: 37727 Professional Center Drive; 734-237-7811
- Novi: 22034 Novi Road; 248-533-0186
- Sterling Heights: 11080 Hall Road, Suite B; 586-262-6727
- Troy: 3290 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 160; 248-480-8392
- West Bloomfield: 5829 W. Maple Road, Suite 127; 248-419-0454
- Teaches: Math, reading, writing, study skills, homework help, college preparation, test preparation
This national chain of tutoring centers for kids has many locations in metro Detroit throughout Michigan and beyond. The instructors are well educated in their field and often teach in local schools. They work with the kids to create a custom program for them to work on at their own pace.
- Birmingham: 770 Forest Ave.; 248-594-3410
- Clinton Township: 42627 Garfield Road, Suite 211; 586-741-8706
- Teaches: Reading, writing, math, science, foreign language to preschoolers-grad school levels
Start off with a diagnostic test to see what level your child is at and then move forward with tutoring in all subjects and ACT prep; plus college essays and applications, military tests and other skills. They also offer after-school, weekend and evening times to fit the student’s schedule.
- Location: Ann Arbor area
- Phone: 734-470-6454
- Teaches: Reading, writing and spelling for dyslexic and non-dyslexic students, homework support, study skills
Tutoring Bright minds offers tutoring methods designed with students with dyslexia in mind. Instructional methods include the Orgon-Gillingham-based approach, as well as a structured, multi-sensory approach that focuses on phonemic awareness, comprehension and more. Students with non-dyslexia can also be tutored in reading, writing and spelling.
- Birmingham: 765 E. Maple Road;248-494-6225
- Macomb Township: 21481 21 Mile Road;248-274-4243
- Southgate: 15305 Dix-Toledo Road; 734-785-8430
- Troy: 5925 John R Road; 248-509-7177
- West Bloomfield: 6247 Orchard Lake Road; 248-432-7288
- Teaches: K-12 students in math, reading, writing, grammar, study skills, test preparation
The program at this national franchise is designed for kids who are struggling with math, reading or writing, and aims to increase concentration, attention spans and critical thinking skills through one-on-one instruction. All instructors at this center hold a bachelor’s master’s or doctoral degree.
- Address: serves Grosse Pointe, St. Clair Shores, Harper Woods, surrounding communities
- Phone: 313-241-7165
- Teaches: Math, English, languages, science tutoring from elementary to college level
This spot caters to families living in the metro Detroit area and offers affordable one-on-one in-home tutoring sessions for all ages and in all subjects, including ACT, SAT and GED prep. They work around your schedule and match students up with the tutors that meet their needs and help them improve not only their grades, but their confidence, study and organizational skills.
- Address: Based in Novi
- Phone: 248-345-9378
- Teaches: Student coaching to get kids ready for the college experience
UR-Worthy helps students take control of their futures by helping them with and simplifying the college planning process by teaching life skills and preparing strategies to help kids reach their goals with a prepare, plan and perform platform.
This post is updated regularly.