Whether you’re learning about lactation or you need support with latching, pumping or other breastfeeding challenges, help is here.
These southeast Michigan resources – some of whom are International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) – offer a variety of pre- and postnatal classes and consultations. They can answer questions and offer guidance to help your family have a positive breastfeeding experience.
Note: Fees for lactation consultants vary. If you give birth at a hospital, sometimes these services are included. Based on our own sampling, local independent options can span $80-$135 for an initial consultation (less for follow-ups); some offer other services and classes in the $25-$50 range.
Check ahead for current rates and offerings, including whether consultants offer services in-home, in-office or both.
- Location: Labor and Delivery, Third Floor, 47601 Grand River Ave., Novi
- Phone: 248-465-3887
Certified Baby-Friendly Hospital offers IBCLC certified lactation consultants and a lactation support group.
- Location: Family Care Unit, 16001 W. Nine Mile Road, Southfield
- Phone: 248-424-2799
Several consultants. Support groups, one-on-one instruction. Breast pumps, more.
- Location: Professional Building 1, Lower Level, 22101 Moross Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-343-3146
Award-winning clinic with lactation experts. Consultations 45 minutes to an hour.
- Location: 1202 Walton Blvd., Suite 216, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-710-3040
Dennette Fend, IBCLC, nurse practitioner is able to diagnose and treat breastfeeding concerns during outpatient consults; can also bill insurance.
- Location: 18101 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-593-5929
Inpatient support from lactation consultants. Support group and class information available online.
- Location: 28050 Grand River Ave., Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-471-8471
Help from registered lactation consultants both in and out of the hospital birthing center. Inpatient and outpatient services; online tutorials available.
- Location: 468 Cadieux Road, Grosse Pointe
- Phone: 313-473-1777
Learn how to initiate and maintain breastfeeding and more.
- Location: 3601 W. 13 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-898-0599
Phone assistance and inpatient services from R.N. board-certified consultants (IBCLC).
- Location: 5450 Fort St., Trenton
- Phone: 734-671-3950
Registered nurses and an IBCLC-certified lactation consultant available for patients, plus a breastfeeding course and online tutorial.
- Location: 44201 Dequindre Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-964-6455
Certified IBCLCs offer inpatient lactation/phone help and breastfeeding education.
- Location: 33155 Annapolis St., Wayne
- Phone: 734-467-2906
Inpatient support from lactation consultants; outpatient phone assistance.
Caring Consults – Rosa Emeigh, IBCLC
- Location: Westland area; in-home consultations in metro Detroit
- Phone: 734-765-8015
Adjunct lecturer at Easter Michigan University, lactation consultant and childbirth educator at Providence Hospital; offers private instruction.
- Location: 1 William Carls Drive, Commerce Township
- Phone: 248-937-5220
Lactation consultants offered to moms who deliver here.
- Location: In-home consultations in metro Detroit
- Phone: 248-880-4026
This experienced mom of two offers initial in-home and clinic visits, plus a variety of follow-ups.
- Location: 2333 Biddle Ave., Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-246-7575
Provides lactation consultant to moms who deliver here. Breastfeeding support group meets monthly.
- Location: 3136 Hilton Road, Ferndale
- Phone: 248-232-2555
Has a certified lactation counselor and offers in-home and on-site breast and bottle support, classes and medical-grade pump rentals.
- Locations and phone:
- IHA Associates in Gynecology & Obstetrics – Arbor Park: 4936 W. Clark Road, Suite 100, Ypsilanti, 734-434-6200
- IHA Child Health – WestArbor: 4350 Jackson Road, Suite 100, Ann Arbor, 734-971-9344
Certified staff at both locations are ready to help new nursing moms with breastfeeding support at home, work and more.
- Location: 4200 Whitehall Drive, Suite 240, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-213-3680
Find IBCLC-certified professionals here to help with a host of issues. Affiliated with St. Joseph Mercy.
- Location: 49650 Cherry Hill Road, Suite 210, Canton
- Phone: 734-398-7899
Patricia Reckling, CNP, IBCLC and Wendy Storey, CNP, IBCLC, assist new moms with various nursing challenges.
- Location: In/around Oakland County
- Phone: 248-243-6150
Team of International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants support breastfeeding families in their homes.
- Location: 2799 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit
- Phone: 313-916-8363
IBCLCs support women who birth here Free prenatal breastfeeding class (800-746-9473); deaf/hard of hearing breastfeeding support group (Denise Beasley, 313-995-0496).
- Location: 15855 19 Mile Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-263-2527
Jane McEwen, R.N., IBCLC, and Denise Tononi, R.N., IBCLC, for inpatient and outpatient (limited) consults. Rayleen Bradley, R.N., IBCLC, teaches breastfeeding and childbirth (call 586-263-2410).
- Location: 6777 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 248-325-0047
Certified lactation consultants. Pregnancy breastfeeding for couples 6-9 p.m. first Wednesdays; breastfeeding support 6 p.m. third Wednesdays.
Kathy Malone, R.N., BSW, IBCLC
- Location: Ann Arbor and Brighton
- Phone: 810-229-3328
Available for lactation consultations. Board certified since 1992. Experience in both hospital and private practice.
- Location: Detroit based; serves Macomb, southern Oakland, Wayne counties
- Phone: 313-920-4914
Stacy Davis, IBCLC, helps new families master breastfeeding. Available six days/week and accepts Aetna insurance.
- Location: 30-mile radius of Livonia (parts of Oakland, Wayne counties)
- Phone: 248-302-5339
Doula Carmen Malcom offers in-home lactation assessments and assistance.
Lisa Hartmann BSW, CLC, CLE
- Location: Home visits in Ann Arbor/Washtenaw, western Wayne counties
- Phone: 734-846-1922
Has been helping new families for nearly 20 years.
- Location: Metro Detroit area
- Phone: 586-930-2438
A mom of four and grandma of two who offers a natural approach to breastfeeding. In-home visits.
- Location: Based in Bloomfield Hills; services Metro Detroit
- Phone: 248-906-8402
Amanda Gatia offers prenatal and postpartum consultations along with personalized breast-feeding consulting, support and education. In-home visits.
Affordable virtual breastfeeding support; no-wait, seven days a week. Specializes in tongue and lip ties, milk supply, painful latch, pumping, more.
- Location: 722 Brooks St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-975-6534
With over 21 years of experience, Robertson offers support groups, pre- and postnatal education and more.
- Location: Ann Arbor area
- Phone: 734-994-8010
Barbeau offers in-person and on-phone consults, a web store with galactagogues and more.
- Location: 3093 Sashabaw Road, Suite A, Waterford Township
- Phone: 248-795-1984
Pam Anzicek, MSN, R.N., IBCLC, and other counselors offer assistance in various settings.
- Location: 1540 E. Hospital Drive, Floor 9, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 844-200-8894
Certified lactation consultants offer inpatient assistance.
This post was originally published in 2015 and is updated regularly.