Meet Laurie Ovies, a teacher at Angell Elementary School in Berkley.
- Grades taught: Transitional Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th
- Years as a teacher: 17 years
- Favorite books as a child: Just for You by Mercer Mayer
- What her class is reading: This is a Ball by Beck and Matt Stanton
- Reading tip: “Reading should be a joyful invitation! Use poetry to foster a love for language with all ages – from early or reluctant readers to adults.”
Learning how to read is an important part of making good health care choices. Kids who know how to read will use this skill for the rest of their lives. The educators in Teacher Spotlight help young readers now, so they can make choices to stay healthy in the future. For more information, visit uhccommunityplan.com.