What’s a better way to start your day than with a delicious, locally-brewed cup of coffee? A delicious, locally-brewed cup of coffee with some adorable cats and kittens on the side.
The cat café trend (catfes, if you will) took off back in 2014 and have been helping stray cats find homes while offering people a stress-free escape ever since.
Currently, there are four of these feline-friendly spots around southeast Michigan (and the surrounding area) where you can get your coffee and play with the cats that live there — or find a furry new friend to bring home to the kids.
Get details on those spots here.
- Address: 821 Livernois, Ferndale
- Hours: Noon-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday, closed Monday and Tuesday
This Ferndale cat café is part of the Ferndale Cat Shelter and offers a community space for people to meet and socialize with adoptable cats. Visits must be scheduled and admission is a $10 donation. It offers coffee, tea or juice.
- Address: 3320 E. Lake Lansing Road, Suite F, East Lansing
- Hours: By appointment
The cat room is typically filled with up to 20 adoptable cats. You’re welcome to visit with the cats even if you aren’t looking to adopt. Get a cup of coffee, tea, matcha, milkshakes or kombucha while there.
- Address: 17370 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Hours: 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, 2-6 p.m. Friday, 1-6 p.m. Saturday, by appointment Sunday, closed Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
Come check out its new location at Partridge Creek Mall! The Kitty Catfe is the first of its kind in Macomb County and works with the Humane Society of Macomb to find furever homes for the cats up for adoption. Adoptions can be done at the café or online for $100-$150.
- Address: 5245 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor
- Hours: Noon-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday and Tuesday
Drop in to the cat café for $4-$7 to meet and play with the cats or make a reservation in advance. It also offers memberships for $125-$800. Watch for yoga, trivia and story times with the cats. Adoption fees run $70-$145.
Do you know about other cat cafes in metro Detroit or Ann Arbor? Tell us about them in the comments so we can add them to the list!
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.