Are you sick of taking your kids to the same park every weekend? Do you feel like your family needs something new and exciting to do? Are you still trying to stay safe and limit what you do indoors?
Well, look no further, Metro Parent has got you covered.
There is no need to travel far because there is plenty to do right here in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. You can hit up an amusement center and play a round or two of mini golf, put your hiking shoes and hit some trails or even see some animals and buy some goods at a local farm.
Note: Be sure to check ahead to see what each location’s mask and Covid-19 protocols are. Most places still have limited capacity so be sure to purchase your admission online, if you can.
- Address: 1901 Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
The park hosts many children’s activities, musical performances, art installations, local markets and more. Family Days offer live performances, games, music, art and field day activities.
- Address: 176 Lakeside Dr., Detroit
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday
Located on Belle Isle State Park and lets you get up close to Michigan wildlife. Offers a variety of outdoor programs and classes for children to take.
- Address: 71485 N. Ave., Armada and 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Hours: 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Enjoy homemade cider and donuts, u-pick apples and pumpkins or head to the Funland with your little one.
- Address: 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
The park has a beach which has sand and lounge chairs, free concert and events throughout the year, games in the warmer months and an outdoor ice skating rink in the cooler months.
- Address: 21750 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Hours: 4-10 p.m. Friday, noon-10 p.m. Saturday and 1-9 p.m. Sunday
There’s plenty to do outdoors at this amusement park. Check out the bumper boats, go-karts, Ferris wheel, drop tower, saddle sling, Euro bungy, roller coasters and more.
- Address: 2100 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Hours: Times vary
Watch the Detroit Tigers take on their opponent in an open-air ballpark. Take a ride on the hand-painted, tiger carousel or 50-foot, Ferris wheel before or after the game.
- Address: 8450 W. 10 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Hours: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. daily
Come check out more than 2,000 animals at this 125-acre zoo in metro Detroit. Ride the carousel, take a trip on the train, play on the playground or try one of their zoo experiences, such as feeding the giraffes.
- Address: 333 N. Hill Circle, Rochester Hills
- Hours: Dusk-dawn daily
Visit the self-guided preserve trails, check out one of their fun, family events or classes or dig for “dinosaur” bones in the giant sandbox. Offers tons of events around the holidays and throughout the year.
- Address: 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily
A historic outdoor museum which spans over 80 acres. See 300 years of history while walking the grounds and experience many family-friendly events every month of the year.
- Address: 2800 W. Hamlin Road, Rochester Hills
- Hours: 8 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
Features a 3-acre accessible nature playground, a children’s sensory garden, a mile-long paved trail and various dirt trails to walk along, ponds, waterfall and more. There are also picnic tables, indoor bathrooms, doggy bag stations, cell phone charging stations and a kayak launch along the Clinton River.
- Address: 7171 Auburn Road, Utica
- Hours: Times vary
The field is home to four baseball teams that are in the United Shore Professional Baseball League. Hosts family-friendly events, such as movie nights, Fall Fest and more. Join the Kids Club, too.
- Address: 31300 Metro Pkwy., Harrison Township
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Sunday
Take a hike on their trails or walk, bike or roller blade on their paved pathways. In the summer, enjoy an Olympic-sized pool with waterslides, a splash pad and a 1,000-foot sandy beach. In the winter, try cross-country skiing, ice fishing or ice skating.
- Address: 1831 Traver Road, Ann Arbor
- Hours: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Check out the nature trail, raptor enclosure, critter house, birds of prey and more at this outdoor nature center. Also has public programs for all ages.
- Address: 22381 Van Born Road, Taylor
- Hours: 9 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
This outdoor amusement park features go-karts, two mini golf courses, Euro bungy, rock climbing, bumper cars, batting cages and more. It’s a pay-as-you-go park, so there is no admission cost at the gate. Pets are welcome.
- Address: 32 Monroe St., Detroit
- Hours: Noon-9 p.m. Sunday-Wednesday, noon-11 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
There is lots of family fun to go around here. At the midway, you can roller skate, play basketball, view art or dance along with the local DJ. There are also food trucks and other concessions.
- Address: 27333 C St., Harrison Township
- Hours: Noon-4:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays; April-October
Check out the authentic military aircrafts at this unique outdoor attraction. It’s located on, Selfridge Air National Guard base, which is an active military base.
- Addresses: 7553 Meadow Brook Road, Rochester and 6600 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
- Hours: 3-10 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
At the Rochester location choose from seven courses with over 75 exciting obstacles to test your skills on. There are four difficulty levels so there is something for all ages and levels of expertise. At the West Bloomfield location, there are 45 zip lines and 250 suspended obstacles. There is three difficulty levels and 14 different aerial trails.
- Address: 65775 Wolcott Road, Ray
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily
See animals up close at the 21st century, 250-acre, working farm. Hike through the woods or bring your horse and experience the equestrian trails. Check out holiday events happening throughout the year.
Don’t see your favorite outdoor spot on the list? Add it to the comments below.
Follow Metro Parent on Instagram.