There are many ways that parents can support the message of the Black Lives Matter movement without taking their kids to protests.
One great way to support the cause and your community is by supporting a Black-owned business — and luck for us there are plenty of options in Detroit to choose from.
Start with this list to find a business near you.
Note: Some businesses may be temporarily shut down due to COVID-19. Check ahead before heading out.
Restaurants, cafes and bakeries
- Address: 20510 Livernois, Detroit
- Phone: 313-345-6300
See a jazz performance at the world’s oldest jazz club and munch on food items like chicken wings, turkey, meatloaf and more.
- Address: 29508 Northwestern Highway, Southfield
- Phone: 248-208-1680
Country fried pork chops, Louisiana style gumbo, catfish and burritos are on the menu at this spot — along with beans and cornbread, of course.
- Address: 25294 Greenfield Road, Oak Park
- Phone: 248-541-2253
Find cupcakes, pound cakes, cookies tortes and more sweet treats.
- Address: Inside the Detroit Shipping Company, 474 Peterboro St., Detroit
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Devour delicious meals like the Island Breeze Lettuce Wrap, which is filled with jerk chicken and cilantro aioli, the Jerk Pineapple Skirt Steak Sandwich and much more.
- Address: 14377 E. Nine Mile Road, Warren
- Phone: 586-217-5000
Take a taste of authentic Jamaican eats including jerk chicken, beef patties and more.
- Address: 2900 E. 8 Mile Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-366-5600
Find classic soul food including pork chops, fried and baked chicken, perch, tilapia and more. Scrumptious peach cobblers and pies, too.
- Address: 8029 Agnes St., Detroit, and 19614 Grand River Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-649-2759 or 313-766-5728
This spot opened as the first option for Detroit vegan food. It features a menu of 100% plant-based and organic dishes including seitan pepper steak and sweet and sour tofu.
- Address: 242 John R. St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-346-3771
The shop inspired by the late Detroit hip-hop artist, J. Dilla, is run by his Uncle Herm and offers sweet doughnuts of all different flavors and styles.
- 29555 Northwestern Highway, Southfield
- Phone: 248-996-9929
The Duo Chophouse burger is a half-pound of beef topped in mozzarella, mushrooms and Zip sauce. Not feeling a burger? Find buffalo chicken, blackened salmon, beer-battered cod and more.
- Address: 19363 Livernois, Detroit
- Phone: 313-468-9915
Pound cakes, lemon velvet cakes, strawberry crunch and lemon gooey butter cakes — can you say yum!
- Address: 681 E. Eight Mile Road, Ferndale
- Phone: 248-336-2253
Enjoy a slice of heavenly cheesecake including strawberry, cherry and Superman.
- Address: 19345 Livernois, Detroit
- Phone: 313-340-2707
Choose from chicken and waffle combos like “Tweety Bird” and “The First Lady,” or southern comforts, including “Big Mama’s” and the “Belle Isle Basket.” They’ve got breakfast, dessert and sandwich options, too.
- Address: 2735 Russel St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-567-2811
Catfish nuggets and lobster ravioli are just two of the items on the menu at this spot. Find live entertainment on select nights, too.
- Address: 19331 Livernois, Detroit
- Phone: 313-397-7727
This spot offers premium coffee and café-style eats including croissants, cruffins, strudels, cookies, pies and more.
- Address: 14628 E. Jefferson, Detroit
- Phone: 313-290-2938
Caribbean cuisine is the name of the game at this eatery. Find jerk wings, curry chicken, vegan pelau and so much more.
- Address: 13835 W. 9 Mile Road, Oak Park
- Phone: 248-545-2253
Superman cheesecake sugar cookies, strawberry shortcake vodka cheesecake and turtle cheesecake are all on the menu at this sweet spot.
- Address: 1431 Times Square, Detroit
- Phone: 313-926-0783
Crab cakes, catfish fritters, whole red snapper, barbecue ribs and more are on the menu at this Detroit spot. Vegan options, too.
- Address: Online
This shop offers sweet potato pies, cookies, cakes, ice cream and other treats both sweet and savory.
- Address: 3919 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-832-0892
This spot has a little bit of everything from bacon brussels to shrimp & grits to blackened walleye and peach crumble cheesecake
- Address: 13710 W. Nine Mile Road, Oak Park
- Phone: 313-879-0750
Find breakfast items, salads, vegan options and much more.
- Address: 14615 W. Eight Mile Road, Detroit
- Phone: 888-407-5703 ext. 131
Enjoy mouth-watering authentic Jamaican eats in a Caribbean-style atmosphere. Menu items include Callaloo & salt fish, jerk chicken and oxtail.
- Address: 6500 Woodward, Detroit
- Phone: 313-334-6099
This spot offers a wide variety of Afro-Caribbean eats at their brick-and-mortar spot and off their food truck. Catering options, too.
Shops and more
- Address: 24361 Greenfield Road, Suite 305, Southfield
- Phone: 248-993-3844
This independent book store specializes in Black media including urban-fiction, biographies, games and more.
- Address: 319 S. Washington Ave., Royal Oak
The flagship brand of this store offers rebellious, daring and tenacious clothing.
- Address: 1545 Clay St., Unit 6, Detroit
- Phone: 313-570-0840
You can find these original Jamaican sweet and herbal teas at Sam’s Club, Meijer, Whole Foods, Westborn Market and more.
- Address: 404 W. Willis, Detroit
- Phone: 313-831-4901
This shop offers an array of unique and funky fashions.
- Address: 1433 Woodward, Detroit
This spot offers a wide array of red and white wines, champagne and sparkling desserts for purchase or tasting.
- Address: 195 W. Nine Mile Road, Suite B2, Ferndale
- Phone: 248-229-0639
This flagship clothing shop offers hoodies, tees and consignment, too.
- Address: 23222 Plymouth Road, Redford
- Phone: 313-472-5565
Find candles, incense, oils, dream books, snacks, lottery tickets and much more.
- Address: 35002 W. Michigan Ave., Wayne
- Phone: 734-722-6630
Brand-named shoes including Nike and Jordans. Sweatshirts, t-shirts, jeans and dresses, too.
- Address: 4240 Cass Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-832-1155
This indie bookshop offers a wide variety of books and other items that are meant to enhance your lifestyle including oils, incense, world maps, raw snacks and more.
- Address: 1435 Farmer St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-506-9679
The flagship store of this makeup shop is located right here in Detroit. Swing by and find your perfect shades for eyes, lips and face.
- Address: 19507 Livernois, Detroit
- Phone: 313-818-0050
Find Detroit-themed hoodies, t-shirts, jerseys, home goods, accessories and more.
Do you know of any other Black-owned businesses in Detroit or the surrounding area? Share them with us in the comments so we can add them to our list.
This post was originally published in June 2020 and is updated regularly.